Part 2: Phantom Troupe -- Chapter 6: Hit & Run

Tonight I'm security, masquerading as a ballerina at the underground auction in Yorknew City. I distract myself from the pain in my feet by focusing on the beauty around me. The piano and violin's quick, melodic tones mold my movements. All the glittering assholes boasting about what they're going to buy: bones of a khan, combs made of tortoise shells, golden glass plates spun from Amber Desert sand. The light shining on the champagne glasses reflects out like diamonds. Glissade-assemble. Sissone. Saute-arabesque. My arms move like wings of a dove en pointe. It feels like splinters are entering my toenails, but I know it's just the pressure of the wooden blocks in my shoes.

In Heaven's Arena everybody knew my name, but here among the mafia's elite, I'm just a part of the décor. It's nice having the anonymity to be a secret weapon. From the corner of my eye, I see several of Neon Nostrade's bodyguards show up: I imagine the rest are outside the building keeping watch. I memorized all their names and faces from the Hunter website. The head bodyguard, Dalzollene, told me there might be an attack happening tonight. He thought it best that they didn't know about me. Fewer distractions and a weapon's more lethal when hidden.

My mission is to ensure the safety of the other hunters and retrieve the item Neon wants if the others can't. The thought of getting a mummy for Neon's flesh collection makes my skin crawl, but I'm getting paid too well to complain. My dance partner picks me up for our final positions as the music draws to an end. There's a gentle applause and a few roses thrown at my feet as I bow. The pain in my feet sears so much that I'm positive a few of my nails have cracked.

I dress, clean, and wrap my toes quickly so I can get back to the auction. Outside the door, I hear everyone finding their seats as it's about to start. An eery voice makes introductions before a loud boom follows. As soon as I open the door bullets fly out, narrowly missing my head. The other guards standing by me aren't so lucky. I drop to the floor and look through the stampede of men trying to find Shachmono, Ivlenkov, and Baise. Telling by the bullets' impact they must be nen-infused. A body falls on top of me leaking blood on my gown. Screams and gunfire bounce off the walls, and blood begins to saturate the floor. Crawling closer to the stage, I finally see Shachmono using his Eleven Black Children ability which is shred to pieces only moments before he's shot in the head.

While the other two hunters take off running, I pick up some of the bullet casings from the floor. A mouth forms on my hand and swallows them. Suddenly, my fingers unlock into the same automatic weapons being shot. I run to the side to the stage, thankful to have the running and dying bodies around me as cover. The big Frankensteinian man is the one shooting while the small, lean one with grey eyes covers his ears. Franklin and Feitan. I'd recognize members of the Phantom Troupe anywhere. I aim one hand at each of them and shoot. Feitan looks over, eyes bulging, before jumping out of the way, while my bullets pierce Franklin's arms. The shooting stops, but the few that survived are quickly being cut down by Feitan before they can get to the door.

I rush out the side exit and circle back to the front to see if the other hunters made it out. I stop in front of Ivlenkov's body and see a pool of blood forming around his head. Not far from us, Baise is running toward me, but is bludgeoned by a metallic mouth. A woman in a black turtleneck and oversized glasses stares at me. Shizuku. She quickly swipes at me with her conjured vacuum cleaner, its mouth is coated with blood. I move out the way then knock the handle out of her hands and shoot her in the chest.

Just as I do I feel a presence swinging up behind me. Feitan. I can feel his sharp hand coming towards me, it'll behead me if it hits my neck. I move out of the way, but his nails slice the side of my back. I keep jumping around, knowing he's on my every move. He's faster than the speed of sound so I'm not sure when I'll find an opening. I turn to keep an eye on him. I fire out of one hand, hoping to blind him with the light and send a shooting star hidden in my bra towards his neck with the other. When I see a splash of blood, I know it worked. Feitan lands on the ground and holds his neck. A few drops of his blood hit the ground.

"I just knicked your jugular. You won't bleed out immediately, but I'd have Machi sew it up in the next few minutes if I were you."

Before he has a chance to respond I escape to the underground. When I get there, I discover the vault is empty. I've failed. Everything and everyone.

Feitan's eery voice travels down the stairs. "I saw her come down this way."

The group of feet I hear running means the troupe members are back up and coming for me and the treasure. I'm no match for three of them at once. At the end of the corridor I see a window to outside. Moving like wind, I tear through the hall, not daring to look back to see if they noticed me. 

Note:As always feel free to leave feedback/comments. I'm currently working on thenext two chapters will have them up in the next day or two. If you like it,please vote for it and stay tuned! <3