Chapter Fourteen - Prepare

Steve and I went to get Nat from the infirmary while Tony made temporary fixes on his suit. When we got to the detention secctor in the infirmary, we saw only Nat. I assumed that she was probably letting Clint get cleaned up, and if he was up and about, then I knew that he was  out of Loki's control. "Time to go." Steve told Nat when the door opened.
        "Go where?" Nat asked.
        "We'll tell you on the way." Steve said. "Can you fly one of those jets?" The door to the bathroom opened and Clint stepped out.
        "I can." He said. Steve looked over at Nat and she nodded in conformation. Clint was fine.
        "Clint!" I yelled, and I ran up and hugged him. He chucled and wrapped his arms around my shoulders, hugging me back. When i finally let go, he kept ahold of my shoulders and looked down at me.
        "Thank you." He said.
        "For what?" I asked, confused.
        "For waking me up while I was in there. Even if it was only for a few seconds, I had myself back." Nat and Steve both turned to me, questions in their eyes and I looked at Clint, even more confused.
        "What are you talking about?"
        "You don't remember?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "When I woke up, I was in the same room as you. You were handcuffed to the end of the bed, asleep in what looked like a really uncomftorable position." My eyes widened in realization and I laughed.
        "When I screamed trying to defend my mind from Loki....." I said trailing off.
        "It shocked my brain awake for a few moments." Clint said, smiling down at me.
        'I'm sorry to innterupt,"Steve said,  "But we've got to go." Steve turned to Clint. 'Do you have a suit?"
        "Yea."
        "Then suit up."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        About ten minuets later, we had all suited up and were walking towards a jet. As we walked up to the opening, a worker came out, staring wide eyed at us and stamered out, 'Y-You guys are not authorized to be in here."
        "Son," Steve said, raising his hand, "Just don't." The kid took a dep breath and stood his ground.
        "I cannot allow you to take this jet." I smiled at him. He was brave, and I didn't want him to get in trouble, so I had to do something to keep the higher ups from getting onto him. Steve looked at me strangely as I walked forwards. I stood right in front of him and motioned to him to lean down. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, but leaned down anyways.
        "I'm sorry." I whispered in his ear. he started to pull back, but I pulled him back down and let out a shriek right in his ear. He immediately fainted, collapsing with a painful thump on the floor. Steve looked at me with wide eyes, but Clint and Nat just rolled their eyes and got into the ship. Steve followed after a moment and I was about to join, when I saw Tony in his suit a few yards away, about to take off. "Wait a second Tony." I said into my earpiece. He turned towards me and I caught up to him. "Can you take me with you?" I asked.
        "Probably. Why?" He asked.
        "I want you to take me too Stark towers with you, but drop me off at the bottom floor." I said, explaining my idea. "You do your thing, while I sneak up to the same floor and suprise him." He was silent for a moment, then gave a short nod.
        "Good plan. It will catch him off guard, and it is better to have two people going at him than just me." I gave him a half-smile and turned to the jet.
        "I'm going with Tony!" I yelled, and Clint nodded at me through the window, starting up the jet. They took off, and Tony picked me up, taking off as well. I held on tightly, praying that the suit's temporary fixes wouldn't fail.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        About ten minuets later, Tony set me down on the ground a few buildings away from the tower. he took off again and I headed strait for the tower, weaving through the throng of people on the New York sidewalk. I glanced upwards and saw Tony land on the balcony, his suit automatically getting taken off. I walked through the glass double doors into the lobby of the tower. It was deserted except for a few of Loki's croonies guarding the elevators. I set off at a jog towards the elevators, and without missing a beat, I sent out a shriek, causing the agents to drop temporaraly. I got on the elevator and pushed the button for the floor underneath the one that Tony had told me that Loki was going to be on. I walked silently through the floor, reaching the stairs and going up them in under a minuet. I waited at the doorway to the stairwell, listening to Tony taunt Loki. "No drink? You sure?" I heard Tony ask.
        "The Chitari are coming. Nothing will change that. What have I to fear?" I heard Loki say. I poked my head around the doorway, making sure Loki's back was turned. I slipped into the room, hiding behind a large pillar that was around the corner. I may not even be in the room yet, but i wasn't taking any chances.
        "The Avengers." I heard Tony say. I rolled my eyes. "That's what we call ourselves. Sort of like a team." I heard a drink being poured. Was Tony seriously having a drink? "Earth's mightiest heroes. That kind of thing."
        "Yes, I've met them."
        "Takes us a while to get any traction, i'll give you that one." Tony said, and I noded too myself. It was too true. Maybe if we had gotten together earlier, Phil wouldn't have died. "Now, let's do a head count here. Your brother, the demi-god." I heard Loki let out a breath of annoyance at that. "A super soldier, the living legend, who, kinda lives up to the legend. a man with breath-taking anger management issues, a living mixed breed miracle, a couple of master assasins, and you, big fella, have managed to anger every single one of them."
        "That was the plan." I raised my eyebrows at that.
        "Not a great plan." Tony said. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."
        "I have an army." I heard Loki say harshly.
        "We have a Hulk." Tony says, and I frown. Bruce had fallen from the helicarrier.
        "I thought the beast had wandered off."
        "You're missing the point, the point is that there is no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top." I can hear Tony start to walk towards Loki. The most I can see is the windows. "And maybe your army comes, and maybe it's to much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the earth, you can be sure that we will avenge it." I smile widely at that. Go Tony!!!!!!
        "How will your friends have time for me, when they are too busy fighting you?" I hear Loki ask, and I crane my neck around, wanting to see what is going on. I see Loki power up his stick and tap it to Tony's chest. My eyes widen when nothing happens, and Loki looks confused. He tries it again, but with the same result. Tony's arc reactor is where the stick would normally work. "This usually works..." I hear Loki say.
        "Performance issues. Not uncommon, one out of five..... or maybe two out of  five..... It didn't work on Sophie either, did it?" Loki grabs Tony around the neckand throws him too the floor next to the  windows, so i could now stay hidden and still be able to make sure nothing went wrong. "Jarvis, anytime now." I hear Tony say. Loki grabs him again.
        "You will all kneel before me." Loki says again.
        "Deploy!" I hear Tony say in a rushed voice. Something starts to whir. "Deploy!" I hear Tony yell again, and Loki throws him out the window. I am about to run out and make sure that he isnt going to die, but I see a suit fly out of the wall and out the window, knocking Loki over. After a moment, Tony reapears outside the window in his suit. "And there is one other person you (insert swear word here) off. His name was Phil." Tony blasts Loki back, sending him sliding across the floor. He stops on the floor and groans. I walk over too him and crouch down, my head right over his. I smile down at him and he opens his eyes.
        "Hi Greeny!" I say, acting excited. I then frowened down at him and shook my finger like a mother scolding a kid. "How many times do I have to tell you that throwing people out of windows is rude?" He furrows his eyebrows in confusion.
        "What?" He asks. I roll my eyes.
        "It's a joke. I'm messing with you."
        "How did you get up here? Why are you here?" He asks, slowly lifting himself from the floor.
        "I came up the stairs." I answer. "Your guards dont do well with siren shrieks." Suddenly, a large explosion is heard from the top of the building and I instinctivly duck, but I see Loki smile broadly. "What. Was. That."I ask slowly.
        "The portal is open. The Chitari are coming."
        "Stop them."I make a fire ball appear in my hand and I hold my arm back, ready to throw. Loki takes a step back, arms raised.
        "Nothing I can do will stop them anymore. Hurting me will not benifit you."
        "Yea, but it would make me very happy." I say, and launch the flame at him. He dodges it gracefully, and uses his scepter to launch energy at me. I jump out of the way, but the energy hits my foot, sending me spinning across the floor. I hit my head on the step to the bar area and I groan. Loki slowly walks over to me and kneels down, pushing hair out of my face.
        "Why would hurting me make you happy?" He askes in a quiet voice. I detected a different tone as well.... was it sadness?
        "Because you hurt my friends." I mumble. He sighs sadly, and starts to get up. He turns and starts to walk away, but I grab his ankle, causing him to trip. I scramble up and over him, heading towards the balcony, but he uses his scepter to try and blast me forward. I dodge this one compleatly, rolling behind the couch. He comes over and I try to leap away, but he grabs my arm, yanking me close to him. He looks deep into my eyes, as if he is searching for something. He suddenly pushes me onto the couch and shakes his head.
        "You are too much of a distraction." He says. "Stay out of the way."
        "Can't." I say, getting up and walking towards the broken window. "You are threatening the people I care for, and I'm not about to let that happen." I turned around as I heard him come up behind me.
        "Then you have to be delt with." My eyes widen as he grabs both of my arms and pushes me out the broken window.