87. Another encounter

He caught her alone in the dance class, once again. This time, however he knocked.

Neelima turned to face Vikram, a little surprised.

"I thought you don't live here anymore" she said wondering why he was here.

Vikram raised an eyebrow.

"I mean in the apartment upstairs"

"I know what you meant"

Neelima unscrewed the cap of the water bottle she was holding, and tightened it again, out of nervousness.

"If you forgot, I still teach Taekwondo in the same building"

"Of course" she said, feeling stupid.

"Why are you always alone in the dance class? Are you the only student paying here?"

"No, I usually take over when the dance teacher cancels the class"

"Which seems to be her second nature"

"This was the second time in months, Vikram"

Vikram looked up, satisfied that he emanated a reaction from her.

"Why are you here?" she asked, taking control of the conversation. She could be meek until her feathers are ruffled. She was training at the dance master for years now and adored the lady. Anything said to her, in a jocular tone or otherwise, is not what Neelima would take it lying low.

"Going to ask you for a favor actually"

Neelima seemed surprised.

"What?"

"I have this fascination of getting a pencil sketch of mine made. Heard you are good at it. Would you want to make one?"

Neelima looked at him dubiously.

"Your sister-in-law Tara is a painter"

"I want you"

She looked at him, surprised, her heart taking a violent leap. He did not make any effort to correct it.

"I was looking at pencil sketches as I said"

"I am not even good at it"

"Evidence says otherwise"

Before she could ask what he meant, he took out a familiar looking book, and opened it so that she could look at the eyes she had drawn. His.

Her instant reaction was to step closer to him, to snatch the book out of his hand. Since he was still holding it, she took a closer step, but he was faster and taller, which is why he held it up and away from her.

"Give it to me Vikram"

"Not until you answer me"

She felt her stretched arm right against his. And she was on her toes to fetch it back. She stumbled a little and slipped, his hand came around her waist naturally to stabilize her.

That made her step back instantly.

They both stood few feet apart and to his credit, he did not make any cutting comment anymore.

"Where did you find it" she asked when she regained her composure.

"You are very reckless with your books, Neelima. Did you not even realize it was missing?"

"It was from the last semester"

"Ah"

She stretched her hand. "I would appreciate if you return that"

"Not until you agree to sketch me"

"Why?" Neelima asked, suddenly tired. "Why this, why now, why me?"

Vikram felt himself give her a smile.

"If only the heart followed reasons Neelima. If only"

When she looked up at him in silence, he smiled.

"Saturday, 10 am, my house. Oh, also don't think your warrior friend will come to your rescue. She went to her parent's"

As Vikram went away, with her book in his hand, Neelima felt the breath she did not know she was holding in so far, leaving her system.