75. Heartache

It finally happened that day.

Savitri Devi commanded everyone to have breakfast together.

Most of the days Maan made sure to leave early and not indulge in any contact with his own family he had been sharing the house with, but that day he realized there are just too many skeletons in the closet, too many walls, too many secrets that one act of resistance to a simple request as that from his Dadi would only raise questions.

And he did not want Geet to be a part of these questions and complications. Not yet.

Dadima would have to know sooner or later but he thought it was better to wait till they find Dev. Till he finds Dev.

There are some answers he needed first.

Too preoccupied with these thoughts, he only grunted when Dadi asked him to stay back for breakfast.

One meal with the so called family that is not tied by any threads anymore could not hurt.

He had returned from his work out and picked up his towel to go to the washroom.

It slipped his mind that his wife wasn't on the couch, sleeping. And that it wasn't 4am.

And it hence came out as a surprise when she had stepped out of the washroom in his black shirt and shorts.

He was taken aback to say the very least.

She did not realize he was around too and he belatedly realized she forgot a change of clothes probably that she slipped into his.

His shorts were big enough for her to fall till her knees and his shirt drowned her.

The red bangles she wore was a sharp contrast to the black silken shirt and her hair that is wet and messy was making a patch of wetness on the side of her shoulder.

She was busy wiping her head with her towel that she didn't realize he was around.

It's only when she turned to face him, she stopped towelling her hair midway, as she looked at him surprised.

He took a step towards her and she took one back involuntarily, making herself backed against the washroom door.

There is a vulnerability in her eyes and as she looked up at him, he realized how small she looked before him.

He had moved further close and he had seen how she was holding the towel, fisting it.

"I need you to move" he said making her brows furrow in bemusement.

"I've to take a bath"

She realized she had been blocking his path.

She looked away, trying not to feel the hurt in her heart.

"Of course. I am sorry" she mumbled stepping away.

Just when his hand was on the knob, he felt her mumble.

"I forgot to carry my clothes along"

"Okay"

"I would ensure to be more careful the next time"

He didn't say anything for a long while and she looked at him to find a small wave of anger hit his eyes.

But it went quickly as it had come.

"Sure. I would be glad" he said closing the door behind him.

She knew him long enough to understand when he meant what he said and when it was his silver tongue all set to inflict hurt.

It was his silver tongue doing the talking now.

Geet sat next to Vicky at the dining table and Maan joined them after a while and took a seat opposite to her.

They both avoided each other like plague and did not make an eye contact. Next to her, Vicky seemed a lot more interested in them than in his food but he did not comment. Something told her, he would bring it up sooner or later. Mostly later, when they are alone.

Nayanatara came down, and Geet had looked at the woman, who was still every part beautiful as she remembered her to be.

She was looking a little weak though. Geet was aware of the strict instructions Maan had given to the servants to ensure she eats, and knows Dadi herself makes it a point to take her to the doctor, or ask her continuously what does she crave.

But for some reason, Tara did not look like an expectant mother. There was no hope or excitement or even peace to begin with.

There was something in her eyes. Something akin to a grief so strong that it would tug at your heart.

Geet saw it because she knew it.

She had felt the heart ache and because of the same man. And it took time for her to get out of it.

However, what Tara is facing is the worst, she knew.

For some reason Geet saw Tara as someone she could have been. The mere thought disconcerted her.

She had looked at Maan then, and caught his eye.

Strange as it seemed that a man she loved bought her comfort as much as he bought her heartache.

Why does it burn her very soul to be this close to him and so far away?

She looks away hoping nobody should notice the heart ache in her eyes.

But someone does.

Tara does.