63. Chasm

"Stop burying your nose in the book while walking" Geet said annoyed at how nervous Neelima seemed before an exam.

"You aren't going to learn anything new in the last 30 minutes"

"Contrarily..." Neelima said, raising up a finger but not continuing the thought further, lost in going through her notes.

"I'm going to find where my roll number is marked. Good luck for the exam" Geet said as she heard the bell, which alerted her that there was only 10 minutes left before the examination.

Neelima half waved not looking up, and was taking a turn in the familiar corridors when she had run into someone unexpectedly hurting her head to the person's chin, dropping her spectacles at the sudden collision.

She looked up with her wide eyes and blinked at the man who picked up the spectacles without a word and extended it to her.

Vikram Khurana stood there, without a sarcastic remark, without his usual intense gaze, just extending her glasses to her.

"Thank–" she didn't even finish her words before he let her take her glasses back in, and stalked off from her, the words half hanging from her lips.

He didn't turn back and she had closed the book resolutely not wanting to admit to herself that it pinched.