Ordinary Life

"She said that she'll pray for me
I said it's too late for me
Cause I think it's safe to say
this ain't ordinary life"

Ordinary Life" – The Weekend

Redwood Academy is a dangerous place, but not in the ways that people would assume. It's not dangerous in a conventional way.

There aren't successful attacks as everyone would either be stopped by security or by the cameras. We don't get many people attempting to attack the school, I think they know they could never pull it off, let alone get away with it.

The real danger lies inside Redwood Academy. The students. Everyone here is rich. My fellow classmates are the children of millionaires, we would all stand out at any school due to our wealth, but not here. Redwood Academy is an exclusive private school for the children of the wealthiest people in America.

I walk through the front doors, watching all my peers as they stand at their lockers and gossip to their friends. I don't usually pay much attention to the gossip, but today is different. Everyone here would do anything for attention, even negative attention. I've never craved attention, I prefer to be in the shadows, I hate it when people are focusing on me and discussing me.

"Hey, Juliet, did you hear?" My best friend, Hunter Berry, comes over to me. We've all heard, the entire school will be discussing the tragedy today. "I can't believe Eleanor Flynn is dead." Nobody can, no one ever thought she'd be murdered.

Eleanor and Hope Flynn went missing nine days ago. The two went on a run together but never came home so their parents called the police and filed a missing persons' report. The police searched for them and found Hope's phone, but they didn't find Eleanor or Hope. Until two nights ago when Eleanor Flynn was found floating in her own pool, dead. A few hours later, somebody found Hope, the media hasn't said where she was found.

"I don't understand why someone would kill Eleanor and not kill Hope." I comment. I wonder how the media have already gotten the information, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. The Flynn family are very famous because they're a billionaire family. They own Flynn Jewels – an extremely successful international jewelry company.

"Eleanor was the eldest sibling, and everyone knows the company will be left to her." Hunter has a point. Eleanor was easily the most attractive and most famous of the five siblings. Something about Eleanor gave her the power to stand out, she was the one who the media was the most obsessed with, and she ruled Redwood High.

The bell rings, signaling the beginning of the school day. I grab my English book from my locker and head off to class with Hunter. English is the only class I share with Hunter which sucks. In sophomore year, we had three classes together which made school a lot more fun.

We head into class and take our usual spots in the middle of the third row. Mr. Brown briefly smiles at us and goes back to looking at something on his laptop. He is the youngest teacher Redwood High has, but he's an excellent teacher. He's really great at making the classes interesting, and he is easy-going which makes all the students like him.

"Alright, everybody, I know that you probably all want to discuss the information that was revealed last night, but we still have learning to do. I know we're all thinking of the Flynn family and praying Hope has a swift and easy recovery." Mr. Brown announces once everyone is seated and paying attention. I would have been interested to hear what people are saying, but we are here to work.

"But, Sir, the Flynn family are like royalty" the head cheerleader, Courtney, argues. She has a point, the only people who manage to stand out at Redwood High are the Flynn siblings and their closest friends. Everyone wants to be friends with Hope or Eleanor.