Chapter 2: The Hues of Sunrise

I woke up to a light knock on my door, "hmm" I answered with my eyes slowly opening as Adams face pops in through the door frame. "You're gonna miss it if you don't wake up." I looked up and saw it was still dark outside through my closed curtains. I hopped up and walked into my bathroom, I brushed my teeth and then stepped into my closet and flipped the light switch on. I pulled a pair of grey leggings with a white detailing on the side, the matching sports bra and my favorite tennis shoes to go jogging in and threw them on. I stepped back into my bathroom washed my face and tossed my hair into a tight ponytail. I grabbed my water bottle out of my backpack and walked into the kitchen where Adam greeted me looking wide awake. "How're you already ready?" I asked him as he gave me a smug look, "some of us didn't get to enjoy a bottle of wine to ourselves last night" I groaned and walked to the fridge and pulled out a yogurt and some berries. I pulled the foil cover off,  licked up the spare yogurt then tossed it and pulled a knife and cutting board out and started to slice my berries. I tossed all my cut berries into a bowl and went to sit on the couch as I turned the news on, it was 5 am, Adam and I take morning jogs and finish it off with a smoothie and sunrise view on the beach. I was finishing up my berries when a report of 3 missing girls had popped onto the tv, three girls had gone missing this week alone. I pulled my phone out from the pocket on my leggings and added their names and descriptions as well as date they had gone missing into my notes, a habit I had formed since Daisy had gone missing. I placed my dishes into the sink, washed my water bottle and refilled it. Adam opened the backpack with our wallets and keys and we put our bottles in and left the house.  

     The jog felt nice and much needed, theres something about the quick breeze against your skin, the smells surrounding you changing from the fresh brewed coffee from the now opening shops, to the saltiness of the water and the ground moving beneath my feet, that makes everything in my head just disappear. We finished our jog as we came up to the storefront, Sam's Smoothies, it was right near our spot on the beach and we came every morning. Adam opened the door as I tightened my ponytail and we walked in. As we walked in Sam, the owner and our now friend, greeted us. Sam was cute and had fiery orange hair and the bluest of eyes, standing only 5'3" with the perfect figure it was a wonder why she was still single. "Hey babes what can I get ya today?" She said from behind the counter. 

"You know what Sam I'm gonna mix it up today," Adam said all proud, "I'm gonna go ahead and get the chocolate banana smoothie, BUT with protein powder added this time" he finished up as he did this little eyebrows dance like he was something else. 

"So the usual but with protein powder instead of a multivitamin?" Sam said with an amused tone. I couldn't help but giggle. "What about my favorite?" she said now turning to me excited. I always let Sam make me something she's testing out I just have to give her the special name for it. 

"Ill go ahead and take the Sammy Special please." I responded with a sight giggle, "But remember I nee-"

"protein powder, I know know. what do I look like a newbie?"  She turned to go make our smoothies and Adam and I sat on the vibrant blue green couch by the counter. She had our smoothies done pretty quick, I assumed she had Adams smoothie pre-made and just had to add the powder. I blew a kiss to Sam and he headed out of the store and to the beach to finish the smoothies and eat our granola bars in peace. 

"Did you see the news this morning?" I asked as I took a sip of my smoothie looking towards the sunrise. 

"I heard the ending of it. Three girls missing right?" He replied to me knowing it'll be what I spend my day focused on. "You can't keep following these cases Liza. Every missing persons case is filed with the police, I'm sure they're tracking it all. I think its time you take a step back and just let them take care of it"

"How can you trust them? I know for a fact they've probably already forgotten about Daisy's case." I said getting annoyed. "I can't even believe you right now, how could you even say something so stupid? like actually that fucking stupid?!" I finished yelling as I stood up and grabbed my keys out from the side pocket of his bag, tossed my empty cup into the trash and started to jog back to the house by myself. I was half way home when I felt eyes on me again, I turned around checking my surroundings and readjusted my keys to fit in-between my fingers in case I was going to have to wreck somebody's shit. I started sprinting home and after 15 minutes of straight sprinting I made it, I unlocked the house with my back facing the door and stepped in locking it immediately behind me. I was so pissed off at Adam for saying something so stupid I decided to just hop in the shower and just get ready for work. Saturdays and Sundays were my busy days, I had school most of the weekdays so I had to work more on the weekends to pay for school and bills. I quickly changed into a pair of black leggings and threw a lose black t-shirt on and tied it on the left side of my hip, braided my hair low enough and threw an olive green hair scarf around the front to keep my hair pulled back. I threw some light makeup on, grabbed my keys and purse and left my room. As I went to leave the house I remembered the feeling that appeared two days in a row now and turned my ass back around towards my room. I knew Adam was home now and I could hear his shower running so I had to slip out quick if I didn't want to see him. I pulled out the desk drawer and found the taser my dad had gotten me when I first moved out of the house and placed it into my purse. I locked up and hopped into my car relieved I didn't have to see Adam right now and headed straight to work.

    I walked into the coffee shop I worked at and grabbed my blue apron from the back. I washed my hands, made myself a cup of tea to start my shift, clocked in, and then started to make orders that were being placed. The days were pretty much the same on the weekends, I start at 7 am make drinks for the first half of my shift and the the second half consists of taking orders and cleaning up tables and couches that had been abandoned. I turned the open sign off at 10 pm and started to clean up as I heard the jingle of the door, I looked up to tell them we were closed when I met the most amazing green eyes.