Chapter 43

Just breathe.

I wiped the mirror with the towel, looking to my reflection. It was only then I noticed how tired I looked. Try as I might, I couldn't stop thinking about the eerie voice I had heard back in the bank and then, again, in my nightmares.

Hanna. Look.

I shuddered at the memory, brushing the wet tendrils of hair out of my face.

It was as though even recalling the event brought the shivers back with a fury. I had tried to close my eyes and sleep after the nightmare yet all I could remember were the sleepless hours of staring blankly at the ceiling.

I shook my head and turned away from my ashen appearance to look at my clothes on the towel stand. I couldn't stand to see my reflection right now, not when I could feel it, bursting to exit.

That voice in my head.

I had spent hours last night thinking back to the previous events and couldn't steer from the fact that the eerie voice had come from nowhere but my head. I had felt it against me, behind me and around me as though it owned every part of me. It followed where I was- the bank and the motel, until all I could feel was the dark caress of its whisper.

Dressing myself, I wrung my hair out with my hands to rid of the excess water before grabbing the doorknob. I spared a final firm look at my reflection, pursing my lips.

"Just breathe." I muttered to myself before opening the door and walking out with as much nonchalance as I could muster.

"I'm finished!" I called out as I exited, wiping at my dripping hair with the towel. I heard the sound of the bed creak, looking up as Demir walked into sight.

"Are you sure or would you like another 2 hours?" He questioned sardonically, nudging past me and I rolled my eyes in response, swirling to face him.

"I'd be happy to, if it means I'd be making you wait." I snipped back, folding my arms to which Demir raised an eyebrow at my words, opening the bathroom door.

"You assume I'd be annoyed if you spent longer washing yourself. Rather, you would have done everyone within your vicinity a favour." He replied poignantly, making me scowl as he walked into the bathroom.

"I'll only do so if you return the favour, Demir. Might I suggest you submerge yourself face-first into the full bathtub for a good few hours. You'll be doing me a great service." I said mock-sweetly to which Demir let out a small scoff, a blank look on his face.

"And why would you assume that I'd want to do any kind of service for a ghabiyya like you?" He remarked and I let out a small laugh, brushing my wet hair out of my eyes. He watched my actions as I spoke.

"Need I remind you that I'm the same 'ghabbiya' you cared so much to catch when she fell." I said teasingly to which Demir leaned against the door frame impassively.

"You seem to forget that I then proceeded to try dropping you." He added and I waved my hand dismissively, eying him flatly.

"We're both aware that one's first action is the instinctive truth, and all that follows is merely the excuse of afterthought." I said, in a matter-of-fact tone, watching as his eyes lit up at my words.

"Are you so brainless to believe the difference between the two holds any significance? I'd have dropped you all the same." He retorted and I opened my mouth to speak, but Demir beat me to it- a bored look in his eyes as he spoke.

"And as amusing as your stupidity is, I'd prefer using the time to bathe." He added dryly, to which I let out a small laugh.

"Good, go bathe and rid me of your presence." I snapped back, watching tepidly when Demir leaned forward, his hair falling into his piercing gaze as he looked to me.