𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞 𝖙𝖜𝖔

this chapter is held 5 years after the previous one, im giving you all a time skip notice ❤️ and no this doesn't follow the manga i'm sorry broskis

~•~

"(f/n)! i told you to go get some rest at home, not here." hiyori scolded.

you snapped awake and rubbed your eyes. "no one else saw me, right?"

"not that i know of." she sighed, and noticed something in your hand. "what's that?"

"huh? oh, nothing." you said hastily and hid it behind your back.

hiyori sighed and pulled it out of your hand. "i should've known. you're still not over him?"

you snatched it back and tucked the picture into your purse. "i am over him."

hiyori didn't look convinced. "then leave the picture behind."

"what? no! they're just- they're just memories." you insisted.

hiyori chuckled and patted your head. "it's okay to still like him you know? you should pay him a visit sometime, he probably misses you."

you rolled your eyes. "hiyori, he hasn't seen or heard from me in years, what makes you think he still cares?"

"the same reason you still care about him, probably." she shrugged. "hurry up and get your stuff, let's head home."

hiyori left the break room to get her stuff from her locker and you pulled out the picture of ushijima and you once again. "i'm over you." you stated, trying to convince yourself more than anyone else.

you collected your things from the break room and when you left, hiyori was waiting outside the door with tissues. "oh, i thought you'd be a crying mess. uh, here, i'll get the car so meet me outside okay?" she mumbled and tossed the packet of tissues before scurrying off.

you chuckled a little, hiyori had changed a lot since you first met her. the girl who fell for someone at first sight grew into someone with intense trust issues since she got played a lot, but since she knew you for years on end she let her guard down around you. hiyori had sworn off guys since her first year of medical college in tokyo with you, but you hadn't expected her to actually stick by it.

she became someone you could lean on, and she was one of the only people who knew about your father and everything that had happened. hiyori never overstepped her boundaries and understood that you needed space and privacy, mostly because she was similar, but you appreciated it. you gathered everything you needed from your locker and left the hospital, where hiyori pulled up in the car you two had bought together.

the dorms weren't far from the hospital at all, but you two enjoyed going into tokyo city to try new food once a week for dinner after your shifts had ended.

that night, you were completely full, and absolutely exhausted but you couldn't fall asleep. once again, you pulled out the picture of you and ushijima and it somehow calmed you down and made you feel at peace.

"get some rest, tomorrow's a full 12 hour shift." hiyori advised before leaving your dorm and heading to her own.

you tossed and turned until you found a comfortable position to lay in and eventually you drifted off to sleep.

~•~

"yes mom, i'm eating breakfast." you fibbed over the phone. it was a little white lie, and she didn't know so it could t hurt her. "you worry too much, don't stress, i'm okay. make sure you don't skip your meals okay?"

tendo's mom had taken you in after everything that had happened, both of you sold your houses to get money and she bought a flat in the outskirts of tokyo. it was too far to go to and from college, so you stayed in dorms and went over to see her every time you got a week off.

she insisted that you call her 'mom', since she's lost her child and you'd lost your mother.

you weren't a replacement for tendo and she wasn't a replacement for your mother, but you two understood the pain of losing family more than anyone and supported each other through everything and she was an amazing mother figure.

"mom i have to go now, hiyori's banging on my door and my supervisor will have my head if i say i overslept one more time." you explained. "i'll call you after work okay?"

you hung up and ran out of your dorm, grabbing your bag and phone on the way out.

hiyori and you sprinted to the hospital and made it in the nick of time. your supervisor side eyed the two of you and you held your breath, waiting for another lecture from him but he sighed and simply assigned everyone to their jobs.

you exhaled in relief when he left the room and turned to hiyori before cracking a grin. "he really hates us huh?"

"no doubt about it."

the busy morning stretched into a busy afternoon, and you collapsed into your seat when it was your lunch break.

"catch!" hiyori said and threw a canned coffee at you. "you'll need it."

"why do people have to be so fucking stupid all the time?" you whined. "it's not that hard to watch where they're going and avoid these injuries."

hiyori rolled her eyes at you. "(f/n), not everyone walks around expecting an accident to happen every waking second."

"yeah yeah, be the mature and understanding one why don't you." you scoffed.

your supervisor stuck his head around the door of the break room. "are any trainees available to end their break early? we're short staffed and there's a patient who's bleeding a lot from their head but he hasn't lost consciousness yet."

you hid your face subtly but the supervisor's eyes landed on you. "(l/n), you seem eager to do this job. you have five minutes to get to your patient." he stated and left the room.

"i hate it here." you grumbled and gulped down the canned coffee in your hand. "the supervisor hates me, all these patients are clumsy and i haven't had a proper meal since last night."

hiyori patted your back sympathetically while you pulled your white doctor's coat over your scrubs and you noticed a chocolate stain on the coat. "damn it, i've to wash this off too." you complained and stole a bite of hiyori's lunch. "love you! don't kill me! i'll see you later!" you called and rushed out of the break room to the reception desk.

"there's a patient with a head injury, a lot of bleeding and up until 5 minutes ago he was conscious, but i'm not sure about now. could you show me to him?" you requested at the desk.

"i'm right here."

you turned around to greet your patient and froze in your place, and not just because of the concerning amount of blood pouring from the corner of his forehead. the two of you locked eyes and you didn't trust yourself to speak.

"(f/n)?" he asked, squinting.

"...wakatoshi." was all you managed to get past your lips.

"we meet again." he smiled and stepped closer.

"wakatoshi, i-" you were cut off when ushijima's blood loss finally took a toll on him, and he collapsed onto your shoulder, and you somehow managed not to fall backwards and held him in place

you felt his soft breathing against your skin and you reached for his wrist to check his pulse. he would be alright if you could just stop the bleeding, which wouldn't be too difficult, but it was the butterflies you felt in your stomach and the pounding of your own heart that worried you.

"fuck. okay. this is going to be a nightmare."

~•~

LOL how do you like me now 🤩🤩

i really enjoy writing this book tbh, and i know it's not as crack head-y anymore and has a lot of angst but i'm like?? proud of its storyline and shit even if parts of it isn't fully developed,,

anyways thank you for reading i'll update again in a few days ❤️