𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖞

Not only were you not allowed inside the operation room, for obvious reasons, you were also being interrogated by the police about the situation.

You hated it, you absolutely despised having to answer questions in the emotional state you were in but you knew you had to do it. You had to give them reason to lock your father up for life, and you would. So despite feeling drained and yet overcome with worry, you complied with the investigation.

Wakatoshi would want this. You told yourself. Do this for him.

This was your only comfort during the 3 hours you spent answering the same questions, just phrased differently. That and the fact that they promised to let you go if Ushijima woke up in between the interrogation.

He didn't. The doctors had been inside for hours, but not much progress had been seen. Ushijima has received quite a harsh blow to the head and he lost plenty of blood.

While you were waiting outside the operation room, fidgeting with your sleeves, Ushijima's mother rushed in with a worried look on her face. The cops informed her of the situation and pointed to you a few times, making you wish the ground would swallow you up.

Her face held conflicting emotions, probably trying to decide whether or not she should be mad at you for having a shitty father or pity you.
In the end, she decided on both.

"You're (l/n), correct?"

"Yes."

"How's Wakatoshi?"

"Still unconscious. His condition hasn't been stabilised yet." You responded.

"And what are you still doing here?"

"Excuse me?"

"This is going to sound rude, but don't you feel ashamed? It's partially your fault that my son is in there right now. He might not even survive. And you still stick around here?"

"Ma'am." You began, sucking in a deep breath. "He's your son, but he's my boyfriend. I care about him too. I'm here because it's partially my fault. To make up for it when he wakes up. To apologise. I'm sorry I couldn't stop my father from hurting him, but if I had the power to do that I would have stopped him a long time ago."

"(L/n)—"

"No, listen. I know he's your son. I understand that you're angry that I'm one of the reasons he's in a hospital operation room right now, and you have every right to be. But I didn't choose any of this. If I could, I would never let any harm come to him. So please, save your anger for another time. I'm pretty sure the first thing Wakatoshi wants to deal with when he wakes up is not his mother and girlfriend quarrelling."

"You sure have a lot of confidence that he'll survive this." She commented.

"And you don't? He was taken to the hospital immediately after he was injured, and he's a strong guy. He's going to pull through." You insisted.

Ushijima's mother offered you a weak smile. "Thank you for saying that."

~•~

"Ma'am, your son is still unconscious, and he most likely will be for a few days. But his condition is stable and depending on how he looks after himself, he'll recover fairly quickly. The first few months will be extremely tough, I must warn you."

Even though this wasn't the best news you could've received, you were just insanely happy that he was still alive. You couldn't handle another death in such a short time span, it would ruin you.

Ushijima's mother took her time to be alone with him, and by the time she left the room, visiting hours had closed and the nurses wouldn't let you in.

You didn't go home, though. You sat outside the room staring at the door as if Ushijima would somehow disappear if you looked away.

"Are you (l/n)'s daughter?"

At the mention of your surname, you tore your eyes from the door. "You knew my mother?"

She nodded. "We weren't close, but she was always kind."

"How did you know I was her daughter?"

"You look exactly like her." The nurse told you softly, "What brings you here?"

"My boyfriend is in there." You said, pointing to the room. "And visiting hours are over so I didn't get a chance to see him, but I don't want to leave yet."

The nurse looked around quickly, before beckoning for you to follow her. "Is 10 minutes okay for now? I'll be on lookout. I'll knock if I see someone coming and you'll have to hide, but I'll tell you when the coast is clear."

"Why are you helping me when you could get in trouble for this?" You asked her, puzzled.

"Your mother did something similar for me, I'm just returning the favour."

You smiled gratefully and slipped inside the room, not bothering to turn on the lights. The moonlight was shining through the window anyway, so the room wasn't pitch black. You say by Ushijima's bedside and ranted to him, despite him being unconscious. You said everything you could've possibly have managed to say in 10 minutes.

You felt guilty though, that a nurse was outside risking getting in trouble for you wanting to meet Ushijima, so you head towards the door again when you heard her knock.

Fuck. That means someone's coming.

You followed your first instinct and dived under the bed, but you dropped your phone in the process.

You heard muffled voices from outside, and it seemed to be Ushijima's mother looking around for you.

The nurse came in when the coast was clear and told you it was safe to go outside, so you grabbed your phone off the ground and turned around to glance at Ushijima one more time.

You weren't sure if you were hallucinating, but you could've sworn you saw his hand twitch. This made a wave of relief crash over you. He was going to be okay.

You pushed open the door and stepped outside only to be face to face with Ushijima's mother, who had her arms crossed with a disapproving look.

"(L/n), I think we should talk." She stated.

~•~

Okay okay first things first I'm so so so sorry about my lack of updates but I'm tryna work on stuff from my drafts FKDJSJ

Updates will be slow for this book in the coming week bc I'm gonna update my Todo fic and my one shots ay

ALSO*** please don't hate on Ushijima's mother, ik she seems very?? closed off to the reader but it's bc she doesn't want her son to get hurt anymore?? So like pls don't bash her for tryna protect her son 🥺🥺 like ofc Ushi doesn't want her to interfere but her concerns are justified is all I'm tryna say

OKOK bYE hoes ily