Chapter 30

Dedicated to Semiloore_❤️❤️

Ore stuffed her stomach with a big bowl of ice cream. Just what she needed to lick her wounds in peace. After she'd left Dami's house, she boarded a taxi that took her straight to her hostel. Her body was numb as she clambered out of the car and up the steps to her block.

Not even the loud chatter of the girls could lift her dampened spirit. She wanted to roll all over the floor and scream loudly for the whole world to know about the injustice done to kids at a young age that fucked them up later in life.

She couldn't picture something so disgusting and inhumane, it made her want to wretch on the ground.

Dami had just been a poor soul trapped in Tami's intricate web of inappropriate sex, obsession and evil charms. Ore failed to see through the lies and deception that were hidden underneath a thin layer.

She plunged into a relationship with Dami without knowing much about his background. She thought that since he showed her his love and care, he didn't have his own demons to battle with.

Ore pitied Dami though because he was stuck with Tami for the rest of his life until he decided to see a therapist or report the matter to someone who wouldn't judge and hesitate to take the case with the police.

It was a criminal offense to have sex with a minor, the punishment was ten years imprisonment. There was no court process, no lawyering or any form of bribery.

Ore couldn't begin to articulate how she'd managed to purchase ice cream on the way back because her legs had been shaking and her eyes were puffy from all the crying.

The sales man at the counter must have thought her crazy. Ore scooped a spoonful of the vanilla flavor and shoved it into her mouth. Only God knew what her roommates were going to say when they heard about what happened.

She was supposed to have followed them to night class to read but seeing Dami had been the first thing imprinted on her mind. Look where that got her to.

If only she'd listened to Mercy when she warned her that not all that glitters is gold, if only she'd stayed behind recovering from the hospital stress, if only she'd never had her sights on Dami or allowed him to sweet talk her into a relationship, her life would have been going on peacefully.

She would have prepared her revision notes already in anticipation for the first semester exams, sulking alone in a humid room wasn't part of the deal.

Tears streamed down Ore's cheeks as she thought about how she'd willingly given herself to Dami and all the good times they spent. Dami liked her no doubt but not to the extent she did him. And that was the gravest mistake to ever make.

She took everything with him too seriously and now it was breaking her heart into a million pieces. That was what it was like to love someone wholeheartedly and put your hundred percent trust in them.

Ore realized she fucked up big time, there was no how her thinking could be remedied. Dami was her painful past and no matter what he would do later to show himself approved, he would remain there.

Sure, she pitied him because it left a deep scar on his persona, his pride as a man was wounded. Ore strangely looked at the iPhone that lay by her side. It was constantly lighting up with calls and texts from Dami wanting to check if she was okay. But what did he care?

He had not much to lose than what he'd lost already. She lost everything, her mother's trust, her sanity, her career life, and sight of her goal. Ore sniffed for the umpteenth time as fresh tears poured from the corner of her red rimmed eyes. She wiped them away furiously but more kept coming so she allowed it be.

Ore flung the now empty ice cream bowl across from her and laid on her bed, allowing exhaustion to creep into her sore body.

Ore woke up feeling disoriented. She looked about her in the growing darkness and felt for her phone. She pointed her torchlight as someone barged into the room.

It was Mercy and Martha who were just coming back from class, chattering and giggling about a guy they saw sleeping throughout with a Bible placed in front of him in form of a leverage.

Ore heaved a deep sigh as her back hit the bed. Mercy frowned on noticing Ore's cloudy countenance.

"So how did your day with Dami go?" She kicked off her sandals and unpacked her braided hair. Ore replied that it was on point with a forced smile.

She wasn't about to tell them of the ordeal she'd faced few hours before. Mercy wondered why Ore was being so tight lipped. She didn't think much of it as she changed into her nightwear.

She announced that she was going to sleep and turned off the light she put on as she entered the room. Martha said the same as she yawned tiredly and soon, she was dozing off leaving Ore to her perturbed thoughts.

Ore took her exams the following week. The questions were tough and required calculation, calculation that she wasn't fully prepared for. She flickered her pen and shuffled here and there looking for who to copy from. But no one reasoned her, they were all busy writing in their own papers.

Ore tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and strained her neck to write from the neighbor beside her. Even if what she was writing was incorrect, she wasn't bothered about it, she just wanted to fill up the blank pages of her exam sheet. The little she knew, she tried answering.

The exams that got the whole school tensed up, finally came to a close and the much awaited day for the results came. In the biochemistry department, your results were pasted on the notice board.

And if your name wasn't there, you were called in by the school's head of department. Ore squeezed through the crowd of students clamoring to check their results and blew out a breath as she eventually made it to the front.

Her eyes combed through the list of names arranged alphabetically with their matric numbers. Her heart was beating rapidly as it slowly got to hers. But the space was blank. Ore gasped. She was in hot soup.

Mercy and Martha were jubilating over how brilliantly they performed in their own results. Mercy had six A's, five B's and two C's while Martha had four A's, four B's and the rest C's.

They hugged each other and jumped up and down in excitement, making Ore feel nostalgic. This was the part where she was truly doomed.