Chapter 23

Ore got home feeling more tired than usual

Ore got home feeling more tired than usual. It turned out that Mercy fulfilled her promise for a small birthday celebration. She had cooked fried rice and chicken and was sharing plates of food around with drinks.

Mercy handed one over to Ore and patted her hair. "You look so stressed out dear, anything the matter?"

Ore feigned a smile and nodded, accepting the food that was in Mercy's outstretched arm. Despite the way the rice looked sumptuous, Ore didn't particularly have an appetite to eat but she forced herself anyways.

"So, any news yet?" Martha asked settling on her bed with a bottle of coke.

"Yeah, the kidnappers are demanding for a ten million naira ransom." Ore spooned rice into her mouth. "And they didn't contact the parents of Dami oddly enough. It was a girl that I can't quite piece." The skin on Ore's forehead clumped together as she was deep in thought.

"Well, it's definitely one of his babes," Martha blurted but held her mouth shut and muttered an apology at the sheer look of disgust on Ore's face.

"Why is everyone initiating that Dami had sex with the girl? Y'all should chill out," Ore angrily stated chugging her drink.

"Apart from Martha, who else said that?" Mercy asked out of curiosity. She was busy slicing her brown cake into portable sizes to share for her roommates and the next.

"Martha," Ore pointed and thought for a second before including Philip even though he never speculated that.

"Nahhh," Martha shook her head. "Philip wouldn't say that."

"Hmmm," Mercy eyed her warily. "How can you be so sure, they both were close."

Martha raised her hand up in defense. "You know what, I'm not gonna argue about that okay? You guys, just ignore me."

Ore ate the rest of her food in silence. The night she had given her virginity to Dami and the call that came in from a lady crept up in her mind. Could it be? She tried linking the dots but it was effortless. Perhaps, there was no connection.

Ore discarded her packet plate in the dustbin along with the empty can. She sneaked behind Mercy to collect two slices of cake and popped them into her mouth so fast that she didn't even notice. But Martha saw her. Ore placed a hand on her lips to shut Martha up and hummed as the mixture of butter and icing melted on her tongue.

Mercy turned from washing her used plate and eyed Ore warily.

"What is doing this one?" She asked arching a brow at Martha. Martha shrugged zipping her lips. Mercy looked at the cake she cut on her bed and walked over, counting the pieces internally.

"Someone collected two slices of cake from here," she enquired her eyes narrowing to slits. "And I know who did it. Ore, no cake for you again, you don spoil show for yourself."