Chapter 1

Dedicated to UjuritaElliana

Matriculation ceremony for freshers was around the corner and the school's main campus was bubbling with excitement like never before. The strength that had been drained from the Year one students writing so many tests and assignments was now rejuvenated.

Posters were being hung at various locations, most hairdressers, make up artists and stylists were trying to outshine the other in their advertisement. They promised a splendid makeover with hair and nail enhancements. Some luxurious shops around were renting some of their best selling outfits to students for rent in preparation for the matriculation ceremony.

Even the sub campuses were undergoing massive renovation. Buildings were being repainted, the roads were repaired and walkways were being constructed. Ore was happy that she was among the 2016 matriculants, it wasn't easy to gain admission the same year she graduated high school.

Immediately the announcement was made in their lecture hall, Ore wasted no time in informing her parents of the good news. Her mother sang joyously while her father spoke of how proud he was of her.

"So, when is the ceremony holding na?" Her mother paused trying to catch her breath. Ore folded her legs and flipped her already relaxed hair.

"It's in a week's time mummy," she cheered. "Hope you guys will come and grace it for me ooo."

At that, her parent's light chatter in the background stopped and a lengthening silence ensued.

"Emmm, her mother spoke clearing her throat. We will not be able to make it my dear, the journey is too far and your father is planning on traveling to Abuja by the weekend."

Ore swallowed as hot tears brimmed in her eye. Her people weren't going to be able to celebrate with her on a fun day whereas others would be fully present to give their children the much needed support.

"Ahhh, mummy, try na," Ore sniffed. "You can still come with my baby boy early in the morning, the matric is on Saturday oo."

Her mother conferred with her father for a minute before she spoke. "I am so sorry honey but I won't be able to make the journey with your brother, your dad has some stuffs he wants me to take care of. Don't worry, we will send you a good sum of money for you to enjoy yourself with your friends okay?"

Ore choked on her sob. "It's not fair ooo, mummy. The one time I want you guys to be there for me, you say it's not possible. Okay na, send the money to my account then."

Her mother sighed, "Can I make up for not coming if I waybill a cake and like four cartoon of drinks to you?" Ore beamed with smiles at that instant and she wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

"Yes, mummy, that would be really lovely." Her father took over the phone and began lightening Ore's mood up with encouraging words and that the next time, they would all travel to come and visit her.