Chapter 27

"How long has she been out?" Philip asked studying Ore's frail form with worry lines etched on his forehead

"A few hours maybe. After we assisted her in bathing, she ate and was given shots of injections," Martha replied picking on her nails.

"Have they done any test yet?" Philip eased himself onto a chair by the side of the bed and took Ore's hands in his. He rubbed it affectionately.

"Yeah, the results came in yesterday. It's an acute case of PIV infection."

"Waoh, that's shocking!" Philip glanced at Martha seeing her cheeks sunken only for the few days she'd spent in the hospital, taking care of her roommate.

"And yourself, how are you really?"

"Well," Martha shrugged. "I think I will need a break. Although, Mercy went home to shower and change, she should be back anytime soon. Then, I will take her place."

Philip nodded understandably as Ore sleepily changed position to her side. It took a few minutes for her to open her eyes and adjust to the brightness. Philip's heart was pounding and he shifted his chair closer.

"Ore," he called softly.

Ore turned her gaze to Philip with a blank expression on her face. She didn't react like someone had just called her or needed her attention.

"Who are you?" She croaked. "And where is my boyfriend?" Ore was close to tears now. Looking around but not seeing any appearance of Dami.

"Ore, take it easy." Martha placed a restraining hand on her shoulder as she tried to lift herself up. Philip was stunned. He couldn't say a word other than him blinking repeatedly. Ore couldn't remember him, had he done something wrong?

"Ore, it's me Philip. Don't you know me?" He asked slowly beginning to panic.

Martha pressed on his thigh urging him to take a deep breath and relax.

Ore withdrew her hand and furrowed her brows at the big hunk staring at her. She racked her brain, trying to reason where she'd known the dude from but her mind came up empty.

"I don't know you." She shook her head and Philip got up pacing the room. Martha regained his sitting position and furrowed her brows at Ore's puzzled face.

"Seriously? Are you pretending now Ore because this is not funny. How can you remember Dami but not Philip who has been caring for you while that your good for nothing boyfriend was gone? Where is he now huh?"

Ore flinched at Martha's harsh words and she recoiled suddenly seeing her roommate in a new light. "Get away from me!" Ore was near hysterics. "I need Dami, tell him to come see me. I hate you, I hate all of you!"

She began trashing wildly and shouting at the top of her voice. The doctor rushed in and immediately punctured her arm with an injection while tears clouded Martha's vision. She staggered away and Philip enfolded her in his embrace as Ore calmed down and her eyelids shut. The doctor checked her pulse and adjusted the drip on her arm slightly.