Epilogue: Summer's End

Summer break had finally come to an end. September was near, but the heat was still making its presence known.

Brett and Cami were at the skatepark. Cami sat at a bench with her laptop, working on her internship application as Brett skated around the park.

He stopped his board in front of her, his sweat glistening in the sunlight. He wiped his forehead and sat next to Cami. He smelled like outside and hot guy cologne, which Cami loved.

"You're so focused," he said.

"Just trying to finish this application. The deadline is next week."

Brett took his gold chain from around his neck and put it around Cami's.

"I dig it," she said, clasping onto it with her hand. It hung underneath the pearls her mother had given her.

"You make everything look good. You should be the model not the designer."

Cami shut her computer and looked at him.

"This was the best summer ever," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck. She couldn't believe it, that they actually made it to the last day of summer. There were a few bumps along the way. But nonetheless, here they were.

"Agreed. I can't believe school starts tomorrow."

"Ugh. I know."

Just as Brett leaned in to kiss Cami, Cami's phone rang in her bag.

"One sec."

She pulled her phone out, it was Melissa blowing up her up.

MELISSA: Call me ASAP. Gossip.

Cami dialed Melissa and after a single ring, she picked up.

"What's going on?" Cami asked.

"Have you checked your phone?"

"Only your texts. Why?"

"It's all over the news, Scott came out."

"Oh my gosh, that's awesome!"

After everything that went down with Melissa, Scott decided it was time to tell his truth. Share his story. And in an effort to save Melissa's reputation he credited her as the girl that helped him cover up his sexuality in a business where he'd been told to hide who he truly was.

Brett and Cami left the skatepark. They drove home, the windows down, a breeze brushing through.

Cami took a deep breath in, she wanted to hold onto this moment for as long as she could. Who knew what the school year was going to bring. A part of her was afraid how it would change things between she and Brett. But after all they'd been through, she knew they could make it through anything.

They pulled up to Cami's house. As they walked to the front door, Brett stopped at Mrs. Clark's rose bush and picked one of the flowers. Mrs. Clark was watching from inside. Brett handed the rose to Cami and kissed her.

When they walked in, Mrs. Clark scolded Brett for picking one of her beauties.

"Sorry, Mrs. Clark."

Mrs. Clark was practicing patience so she talked to herself in her head, calming herself down.

"It's okay," she smiled at him. "Are you staying for dinner."

"I guess so. What's for dinner."

"Chicken parmesan and pasta."

Cami and Brett hurried up the stairs and collapsed onto her bed. She ripped off her shirt. It was just as hot inside as it was outside.

Brett caressed her chest down to her belly button with the rose. The petals felt soft and delicate against her skin.

"Can I pick you up for school tomorrow?" he asked her.

"Hm. Well it depends."

"On?"

Cami sat up in her bed and looked at Brett.

"Depends if you drive my best friend too."

Cami laughed at her own joke.

"I can't deal with Melissa's back seat driving."

Cami looked out her bedroom window at the pool. It looked so refreshing. They decided to go for a swim.

When they got out, they laid on the hammock that hung from the tree in her backyard. She laid in Brett's arms. He could feel her heart beating against his body. It made him feel at peace.

Brett's phone vibrated. It was a Facebook message from him mom.

"What'd she say?" Cami asked.

Brett opened the message then looked at Cami.

"What is it?"

"She asked me to come visit her this winter for Christmas."

Cami's heart jumped.

"In Colombia?"

"Yeah."

Did that mean they wouldn't get to spend Christmas together?

"I'm going to wait to answer."

"When was the last time you saw her?"

"Jeez. Not since she was deported."

"Oh my gosh."

Brett looked up at the sky. The clouds covered the sun.

"Hey," he said. "If I say yes, will you come with me?"

Cami was taken aback. Go with him? To Colombia? She had school. An internship. Plus, her parents would probably say no. Although, she'd be eighteen soon and they wouldn't have a say.

"It could be an adventure."

An adventure, Cami thought. She didn't give Brett an answer though. It was too far away to discuss anyway.

"Let's just enjoy right now," she said, her head on his chest.

They watched the sun set below the hills. Summer was over. But Cami and Brett were just beginning.