Chapter 8 page 1 - Commemoration

The last days of school for us, Form 5 students are brimming with joy from the completion of our SPM exams. Now we're able to conclude the chapters of our high school dramas before facing the bitter reality of college, careers, bills and marriage.

Since we don't have a graduation ceremony other than the prom night, girls of my cohort from both science and art streams shuffle from one classroom to another to commemorate each other's 12 years of hardships in school. Some exchange contacts, swapping handmade gifts or bought ones while some let each other sign on their respective pinafores, uniform shirts or autograph books as memento.

I wait for my turn to approach Jocelyn who already has her friends throng her like a swarm of bees before they disperse into the adjacent hallway. I thought of clearing things off with her, to tell her that I've moved on and that I no longer have feelings for her. But the skip of my heartbeat tells me otherwise.

Jocelyn responds to my presence with a cold nod.

"Yes, Sofia," Jocelyn's eyes peer at me through her wide rectangular glasses. Her broad shoulder stiffens as though in position to pounce away from me.

"I don't want nothing from you, just wanted to say happy graduating and good luck with your future undertakings. May you find happiness in whatever you do," my speech is scripted. "And I'm sorry if I ever creep you out or causes discomfort with my presence."

Jocelyn's watchful eyes relax as she heaves a sigh of guilt. "Thank you. I wish the same for you too. I'm sorry if I ever hurt your feelings. You're not that creepy, well not anymore. You're okay actually."

I glance at her wrist and note that she's wearing the Swatch watch I bought for her 16th birthday last year, the reason why I took up babysitting.

"I like your watch," I smirk.

"Yeah. Although I'm more of a G-Shock fan but this one happens to be my favourite spare," she curves her lips into a genuine smile.

For a minute I thought this conversation would not end well and I was ready to get my heart broken once more. But after a minute of staring at each other in silence, she finally gives in for an embrace. It's still rather stiff, not a wholehearted hug but I appreciate her effort of keeping her guard down for me. And I finally was able to scrape her off of my 'People Who Wants Me Dead' list.

       ⭐⭐🌟🌟🌟🌟⭐⭐⭐

The faint breathing of a child, softly puffing against my calf arouses me from my deep sleep. Mom often reminded me that any nap in the late afternoon is considered unhealthy. But the trip to Aquaria and Petrosains at Suria KLCC Mall earlier today had got both Saint and I arriving Freesia Court knackered and passed out after that.

I tilt my head downwards to find heavy sleeper Saint by the corner of the bed, sprawling horizontally on my feet, facing down. He must've been as exhausted as I was, so he decided to crash in. Or maybe he was trying to wake me up to play Risk as promised, but defeated and fell asleep waiting.

I cautiously prop myself up with my elbows and slowly tuck my both legs towards me without waking him up. As his whole body gently lays on the mattress, I flit to the edge of the bed and tiptoe across the room to exit before padding into the dining hall.

Sabina's lounging by the kitchen counter, beaming while she browses through photos in her brand new Olympus digital camera. I lumber into the kitchen as Sabina beckons me with her delightful voice.

I come forward to her and she tilts the screen behind the camera towards me. She shows the digitalised photos that were captured throughout our trip, and I'm fascinated by the clear images on the small screen with minimal amount of pixelation. Soon with these new gadgets, we no longer have to deposit our rolled films at the photo shop to have the photos printed.

 Soon with these new gadgets, we no longer have to deposit our rolled films at the photo shop to have the photos printed

Sabina swipes the touch panel to the left, flipping one image to another. Among photos shown are images of us under an underwater tunnel overlooking beautiful showcase of a manmade oceanarium in Aquaria, me and Saint inside the Dark Ride in Petrosains, selfie of us having outdoor lunch at Dome Café and me and Saint taking an afternoon nap like brothers and sisters after a tiring day.

"Just look at you two, so cute," Sabina commends. "I don't often see Saint this happy on a day trip at the mall like this."

I give photos the once-over before agreeing to her comment. Saint's grinning face in every image on the screen was unquestionably genuine. It's no doubt that he's no longer the callous and grumpy boy I used to know, he had outgrown them to become someone cordial and warm. Although I see he's struggling to be sensible so that he could place himself to be among my peers, he's getting there somehow. 

Seeing the remarkable transformation in him is a cathartic experience to me. And I admit, I'm heavy-hearted to leave this wonderful family who accepts and loves me like I'm one of them. The thought of planning for college degree and hunt for scholarships or study loan would mean that I can no longer do this babysitting job and visit Freesia Court ever again.

I look away from the camera, casting down my eyes towards the marble counter top as I contemplate over my future and the anticipated SPM results that will arrive somewhere in March next year.

Like what you've read so far? Don't forget to

Gif source : Tenor

Camera photo source : BBC