Chapter 1 page 2 - Maia's Offer

2000

Jocelyn Chor may not be the top-notch student of Star Hill High School for Girls but she's damn popular. Like so popular that if she was to move to another school, it'd definitely be in the headline news. She barely greets me this morning, walking past me without so much as half a glance. And I find this common, considering that she and her 3B classmates confer the title "imbecile flea" on me because they perceive me as one, roaming around being goofy like a retard. That name still sticks like Elephant glue. 

Honestly, I ask for this. It's a two-pronged attack, I've been rejected and ridiculed by individuals whom I admire (inclusive some from St. Paul High School for Boys and a couple of girls from 3B class) and their friends would gang up on me and call me names I don't want to mention.

Not only that I get picked on by these ruthless bandits, but I've also been psychologically bullied throughout my adolescence; the school bus gang, the kids at tuition centre, the Convent School girls and the list may extend in the future. My life revolves around people intimidating me for being weird. I made more enemies than I can chew. Nice one, Sofia.

My gaze remains fixed at Jocelyn as she carries on her so-called important discussion with her classmates. Jocelyn is that kind of girl whom other girls would want to have a crush on. Pixie cropped hair, slanted almond shape eyes, big proportionate nose, with full pouty lips. Despite her beauty, she's principally androgynous with build-up frames for being athletic and such features attracts me the most. Other than her multitalented dexterity, she often flashes her fancy swag and her airs and graces among others like a majestic bird flexing its flamboyant wings to draw its mate.

Hence, it is suffice for me to rather admire her from afar.

"She's out of your league, get over it," Maia's voice shakes me from my deep thought as she approaches me.

"I just don't get it. Why can't she use the same tone she talks to you when she talks to me?" I sigh and walks away.

"What tone?" Maia follows me from behind. "She talks to everyone the same."

"There's a difference but you won't notice it because you're not the fleabag," I jeer.

"Okay, maybe you should clear things up with her if she doesn't see you in the eye," Maia suggests. "The only thing that holds you down is because you have feelings for her."

"Bingo!" I chime, re-enacting Jim Carrey's Ace Ventura character uttering the catchphrase with a goofy expression. "Now you see the problem?"

Maia chuckles as we both heading for the Science Lab. "I might be able to help you getting your mind off her for a while. Care for a babysitting job?"

"What's the catch?" I roll my eyes at her in curiosity.

"Well, the mom's an expat and she pays handsomely," she tilts her head to the side. "She works at a bank, single mother with a challenging seven-year-old son."

"Why can't you go?"

"I'm gonna pass that this time, since my sister already has two VIP tickets to see Westlife this weekend," she justifies.

"Shut up!" my jaw drops and squeaks, "How?! Why?! Where?!"

Maia laughs at my folly. "My sister works with Tower Records music store, remember? She always gets awesome freebies."

"Ask her to tag me along!" I urge breathlessly.

"Sofia, it's very, very hard to get just one VIP tickets, let alone two," she flashes a peace sign at my face. "Besides, she's treating me for my birthday, and the concert is meant for our therapy session since our dad, you know."

I mouth an "O", understanding her reasoning completely. Maia and her older sister were victims of an abusive parent. Her dad became deranged and went violent since their mom died. He often hurt them by slashing, beating and sexually assaulted them for two consecutive years. He is now behind bars after neighbours reported to the authority over hearing relentless series of screams and shouting coming from their flat. That was two years ago, and Maia lives with her sister now.

"Sorry," my voice deflates. "You two deserve a weekend together. I can take up that babysitting job for you if you want."

"Sof, just to be clear, I'm not coercing you to this babysitting mission. I can just tell the mother that I'm busy and let her deal with her issues. I'm just giving you the avenue to explore other ventures rather than dwell over something hypothetical like having foreplay with Jocelyn–"

"Stop rub it in, will ya?" I cut off while she titters away. "Seriously, that's what you think I've been dwelling about?"

"Well, the shoe does seem to fit, doesn't it?" Maia giggles and wraps her arm around me before leaning towards me for a peck on my cheek. "Thank you, Sof. You won't regret it. She'll pay you generously that you can even afford a Swatch watch to appease Jocelyn."

Maia surely has a way with words and oftentimes it is difficult to disapprove her mooting. In fact, getting Jocelyn something fancy is a plausible idea and what way to do it other than babysitting rich kids.

 In fact, getting Jocelyn something fancy is a plausible idea and what way to do it other than babysitting rich kids

In case you've been wondering... Westlife? Who? Well, they were the Irish version of 1D or Why Don't We back in 90s - 2000. Below are photos of them then (right) and now (left).

To some who didn't know, Elephant Glue is a famous brand for a super glue in some Asian countries

To some who didn't know, Elephant Glue is a famous brand for a super glue in some Asian countries .

Like the chapter so far? Don't forget to

Photo source - (header photo) Bukit Bintang Girls' School Blogger

(inline photo) https://metro.co.uk/