Chapter 7

Shuijing

It was about 6 in the morning, as Jie and I were preparing to go our parents' villa to prepare for Jie's birthday party that was happening the day after and to catch up with what's going on with our lives. Just to clarify, both of us don't live with our parents anymore. After Jie started college a few years back, she bought a house for the two of us which our parents were okay with, as long as we promised to visit them whenever we came back to Shanghai.

I was still in my room, just applying some last-minute touches. I was wearing a white long-sleeved top with a blue-collar accented with black polka dots, and matching cuffs that was tucked into a black high waisted school girl skirt, and finally some black high heeled ankle boots. I fastened on some diamond stud earrings and curled my hair. I heard a knock on my door, and Jie poked her head in.

"You ready meimei?" she asked as she went inside. She was dressed in a white and yellow striped sleeveless crop top, a matching skirt, and white block heels. Her hair was pulled back into a curled ponytail and she was wearing some gold hoop earrings. I smiled and nodded as I grabbed my dark blue clutch and phone, and headed downstairs to my car. We got in and fastened our seatbelts, as I started the car.

I drove us to the villa, which was just a little far from where our house was. Jie was beside me, calmly looking at the scenery outside. Then, I saw the big golden gates with the letters "Tengtang" engraved at the top. We're home.

I honked my horn and the guard out front opened the gate for us. Jie and I thanked him, as I drove inside and parked the car near the entrance of the villa. Our villa. As we got down from the car, we were greeted by familiar faces.

It was Uncle Liu and Auntie Cindy. Uncle Liu was our family's butler while Auntie Cindy was my and Jie's nanny growing up. They are married and had served our family for years- they were both like our grandparents growing up. Uncle Liu was this happy grandfather who taught us to be brave and spoiled us with candy, while Auntie Cindy was this sweet grandmother who would braid our hair and tell us stories before we slept.

"Uncle Liu!" I exclaimed, as I hugged and smiled at the old man.

"Our little Shuijing has grown up to be a fine little lady! And Jing here has become such a beauty!" he complimented, as he gave me a warm smile and clasped my hand in his. "I better not be hearing about boyfriends from you missy! Both of you!" he warned playfully at me and Jie, which made us laugh as I went to give Auntie Cindy a hug.

"My my, you girls have grown up so gracefully.." Auntie Cindy said as her eyes began to tear up, which made Jie and I hug her tighter. She pulled away from the hug and softly caressed both our faces with a motherly smile. "I'm so proud of both of you." she said, as she pulled us in for one more hug before we headed inside.

Going inside made me remember a lot of memories- both good and bad, but nevertheless, I smiled at the nostalgia it brought. Someone took mine and Jie's bags to our rooms, while we walked through the halls of the villa and finally arrived at the dining room, where our parents were waiting for us. I observed the table and saw that an abundance of all our favorite food was prepared for me and Jie. Cheese omelets, sweet and sour pork, our favorite fish soup, garlic bread, fresh green salad, and more.

"Jing. Shuijing." My mother greeted, as she gave us both a kiss on the cheek and passed us on to our father who was sitting at the head of the table.

"Hi dad." we both said, as Dad smiled at us and gestured for us to take our seats. I sat next to Dad on his left side, while Jie beside me. Mom was seated on the other side of the table on Dad's right side.

We proceeded to get some food, as Mom began to ask us about how we were. She mostly talked to Jie and I just continued eating my food. I was used to it. Jie was Mom's favorite. Come to think of it, she was Dad's favorite too. I frowned but continued to chew the bacon on my plate.