Chapter 51

Shuijing

I was able to convince Auntie to let Shancai talk to Ah Si. I was waiting near the staircase, wanting to give the two space and privacy. I was waiting near the staircase when Lei suddenly called.

"Hello? Lei."

"Shui, how's it going?" He asked and I sighed.

"Auntie allowed me to let Shancai talk to Ah Si. I left them upstairs. I don't know what's gonna happen when Shancai comes down." I explained.

"Don't lose hope. I'm sure Shancai can convince Ah Si."

"I hope so Lei. Anyways, did you find Meizuo?" I asked worriedly.

"Yes. Ximen found him at home crying by himself and looking at your pictures." My heart broke for the second time that day but I held in my tears because I knew Auntie was watching me.

"Shui, are you sure about this? Shancai can still convince Ah Si and you don't have to marry him."

"I don't want you guys to suffer because of Auntie. If she can't get through to Ah Si, she'll use me and I know she'll use you guys against me."

"Even your adoptive parents Shui? You're putting the love of your life on the line for them too?"

"Yes Lei. I am. I love them all the same regardless of what happened. If Meizuo really loves me, he'll understand."

"What if he can't?"

"Then that just proves that the love that he has for me isn't strong enough. True love is selfless Lei. It is always ready to make sacrifices in order to put other's happiness before my own. I can't see any of you guys suffer under Auntie's wrath. If I have to give up Meizuo to protect you guys then so be it."

I didn't even notice that I was crying when I hung up the phone. My heart ached for Meizuo but I had to be strong.

Shancai came down a few moments later, weakly and silently walking over to me. Auntie asked her if Ah Si listened to her and if he was going to stop acting like a child, Shancai shook her head.

"If that's the case, you can go now." She told Shancai and Shancai walked away. I looked at Auntie before chasing after Shancai.

"Shancai." I called after the younger girl who stopped in her tracks and looked at me.

"I'm sorry about that." I apologized and she gave me a weak smile.

"Shui, I don't feel bad. I'm actually glad because I've never been so sure about what I want. I'm sorry. I couldn't convince him because I understand what he's doing. Maybe you don't understand but I do. So I'll stand by him. If he doesn't eat, I won't eat too. If he doesn't come out, I'll keep waiting for him." Shancai said before walking away but I grabbed her arm.

"Shancai! Don't be silly like Ah Si." I warned her, silently begging her not to do this.

"Shuijing, you know how I am." She reassured me and I grew even more worried.

"Don't think that I'll pity you if you do that. "Auntie sneered.

"Mrs. Daoming. I'm not the one who needs sympathy. It's you." Shancai told her before she walked away and stood in front of the mansion, the rain heavily pouring down on her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2 hours had passed and Shancai was still standing there. Auntie Jade and I tried to convince her to rest and at least come with me to my house but she didn't budge so I called Lei and told him to get some food into her system.