Chapter 10: Illumination

Start from the beginning

She couldn't see how things could be any worse than this upcoming tragedy.

"Wow, what did she do to make you cry like that?"

Sophie sniffled and looked up. She was certain all the doors were locked, and no one besides Suliman, Justin, or a select few guards were allowed entrance. She was indeed alone in the room – save for a talking fire demon.

"Ca-Calcifer?" Sophie crawled closer to the fire, and sure enough her fire demon friend burned brightly in the fireplace. She couldn't help but smile through the tears. "Oh, Calcifer. If you weren't a fire demon, I think I would hug you right about now."

He laughed lightly. "I know, Sophie." Calcifer dropped his brief excitement. "What has Suliman done to you? I haven't seen you cry in ages."

Sophie sat with her knees propped up, looking away from his gaze. He was the only one she'd entrusted with any information about Justin over the last year. She was desperate for a soul to listen, yet terrified to admit the truth.

Sophie curled her short hair behind her ear, still refusing to look him in the eye. "I don't know if I should say. Although, you'll all find out eventually tomorrow."

Calcifer crossed his arms over the logs. "Sophie, if we're going to help you, you need to tell me what's going on."

She lifted her head and her heart stopped for a moment. "We?"

"Howl, Markl, and Kenta are doing everything they can to bring you back home. Howl loves you, Sophie. You know that, right?"

Sophie shrugged. "I don't know if I have faith in my own judgment anymore. I've trusted the wrong people and believed in far too many lies for a long time."

"Do you mean Howl or Justin?" Sophie turned to him, but his eyes lowered. "I... I told Howl about the proposals. I didn't... I just couldn't hide it anymore. He deserved to know the truth."

Sophie widened her eyes in shock. Howl knew. He knew of the visits to the flower shop and the countless proposals - everything. With her secret now unveiled, he was aware of all the lies.

Though they hardly had any interactions before or after the excursion that saved Justin's life, Howl was never fond of Prince Justin. Anytime the name of such royalty was slightly mentioned, Howl always grew a little colder and less compassionate. Over time, Sophie began to understand why Howl was more cautious of anything having to do with the Royal Family.

Her heart raced faster and faster, but after a few deep breaths, she relaxed. "You did the right thing. I should have told him the first time; maybe then I wouldn't be stuck here."

"Sophie." She turned to Calcifer, his tone serious. "Why are you in the Palace?"

It was time. Sophie needed to tell someone or the loneliness would consume her. She couldn't be alone; not now. Not when she needed her friends and family the most.

The tears rolled down her cheeks and she cupped her face, letting the words fall out. "I'm... marrying Justin in the morning."

Calcifer was speechless. He assumed leverage or ransom to force Howl to the extreme. But to marry Prince Justin? After all the times Sophie denied him and his love, it came down to a forced marriage? He used to think the Prince was just an optimistic man with a soft heart of gold. Shocking to the demon, Justin was apparently the same kind of ruthless as Suliman to force Sophie into marriage.

Calcifer's flames boiled like an evening sunset. "What a piece of scum. He should be ashamed of himself for going so low. How did he coerce you into this?"

She revealed her tear-stricken cheeks, the red in her eyes so painful Calcifer would have cried if he had the ability. "Suliman killed my sister and pretended to be her to make it look like Justin had moved on, but it was only a trap to get me to marry him."