Security

"No."

"Yous didn't even-"

"I don't need to. My answer is no."

Thunderhoof snorted and frowned while crossing his arms, looking down at Steeljaw with a face that foretold a very unpleasant conversation. Sighing, Steeljaw pinched the bridge of his muzzle, trying to think of a more patient way to voice his opinion.

"Thunderhoof. I... appreciate your offer, but you must understand my decision. The two of us sharing a berth... It would draw unwanted attention."

"Since when did yous start carin' about gossip?"

"I never said I did. However, our image is still important."

Thunderhoof shook his helm and dropped his hands to his hips, cocking a brow as he surveyed the other for a good moment before replying.

"I'm startin' to think you're just afraid of bots thinking we're together."

Steeljaw leaned against Thunderhoofs berth, the weight of his litter making standing for so long difficult. It didn't help that this conversation was already proving exhausting. "I've never been swayed by the opinions of others, Thunderhoof. I'm merely stating that, as leaders-"

"We can do whatever the frag we want." Thunderhoof clipped, cutting Steeljaw off mid explanation. Before he could even recover, the mob boss was going on with gusto. "I'm serious! Yous have only said no cuz of what other bots think. Now look, I ain't asking for your claw in bonding here. All I want is to share a berth. For... safety n' such. Those bitlets are coming soon, and we ain't exactly in a well fortified bunker."

Thunderhoof paused, either to gather his thoughts or offer room for rebuttal Steeljaw didn't know. Regardless, the silence was filled afterwards by a continuation.

"I get that we're not more than unlucky frag pals, but being together at night will make things easier. Those little f-sparklings are my future business partners. I need to ensure they get here safe. You get me?"

Steeljaw was silent, his optics sliding shut as he took a cleansing vent. Thunderhoof had a point. Being together during recharge would offer protection as well as convenience. And his primary reason for denying the proposal was his desire for this whole affair to be as subtle as possible. But he was unable to deny that carrying had drained him of some of his speed and strength, leaving him in need of aid that couldn't be had with any other bot.

A gentle flutter in his belly sealed the deal. He couldn't deny his pups an extra layer of protection, annoying and embarrassing as it may have been.

"I do see your logic, yes." he replied carefully. A genuine look of happiness flashed across Thunderhoofs normally stoic face, making him wonder briefly if he had another motivation for this. Ignoring it, he continued without changing tone. "So I'll try it. But if I find it unsatisfactory, I will do what works best for me. Understood?"

There was a flicker of something less identifiable on the others face, something he could only guess at before he got his answer with a sudden smirk.

"Not to brag, but I'm pretty sure yous are gonna be plenty satisfied."

...

"You can't be serious."

Thunderhoof shrugged his shoulders and replied honestly, the rare smirk still resting devilishly on his face. "Yous 'll need more transfluid than ever in the next few weeks to keep the bitlets healthy. I'm just sayin', we may as well take advantage of the close quarters. Two Corvicons with one blast, am I right?"

Steeljaw sighed hard and rubbed his temples, admonishing himself for being at all surprised. The fact that the proposal only made sense didn't make it any easier to bare.

"You're impossibly immature."

"When I wants to be."

Thunderhoof chuckled at his own humor before straightening up, still smiling but with an air of maturity that fit his station.

"But back to business. I'll be gone for a bit to grab some stuff for Fractures weapon tinkering. Yous can feel free to get comfortable while I'm gone."

"I'll consider it."

"And if you still ain't satisfied when I get back, I'll help ya settle in..."

Steeljaw grumbled something less than audible under his breath.