Doubt

Steeljaw pushed his way up the mountain and through the thick forests growth with a half sparked snarl of irritation, his fixation on his current task helping to quell his frustrations. The planets fauna may have been a hefty impedance, but he was making good progress to his goal, especially with his keen senses acting as a guide. With luck, he'd have a new soldier by the end of the day, or at least a start on where to find one. 

Finding himself in a clearing, he paused to shake the accumulated twigs and leaves from his armor niches. As useful as this planet was proving for his plans, he would never grow accustomed to the prickly nature of its forests. A rather large part of him still longed for the crystalline trees on Cybertron; great, towering structures of shining metal and crystal that intertwined together in a confusing labyrinth. He'd often used them to his advantage during the war, luring in inexperienced Autobots and striking from the twisted, reflective shadows... 

Nostalgia. Such a time waster. He needed to be focused.

Setting off into the brush, he quickly picked up the scent of his target; an opened escape pod. The pods reeked of the chemically sterile environment of the prison ship, which was like a beacon for his olfactory receptors amidst the organic odors of the forest. It was not long after that he saw a glimmer through the trees, and the sound of running water greeted him as he emerged to find his prize resting in a shallow creek. A sense of satisfaction filled him at the sight, right up until he saw the torn off seal immediately indicating an escape.

Empty. A shame. 

Stepping down into the creek bed, he inspected the cracked open shell for evidence of its occupants stature. The deep claw marks and huge dents suggested an impressive warrior well worth recruiting, but the recent rains likely ensured that any hope of tracking them was lost.

Where might you be, brother? he pondered to himself, lifting his head to scan the surroundings. There was no evidence of tracks or disturbed vegetation, but he did spot an unexpected object of interest. Upstream, where the trees thinned approaching the rockier slopes of the mountain, he spotted the mouth of a cave on the stony creek side just large enough for a bot of his size.

On the strangest of whims, he abandoned the pod and approached, knowing that he'd find nothing but still feeling compelled to investigate nonetheless. The opening was just large enough for a bot his size to squeeze through, but the inside widened to a considerably more manageable volume, enough that he could curl up inside quite comfortably.

He felt a strange sense of ease at the thought of doing just that. With adequate bedding, he'd likely be even more safe and comfortable than he was in his own berth. How nice that'd be, a safe, private space for himself; an ideal nest to settle down, with the contended chirps of little ones at his side-

"What're ya doin?"

The accept laden prompt snapped the day dreaming wolf from his stupor to find a familiar, antlered figure standing over him.

"Thunderhoof." he rasped quite unprofessionally, swallowing down his surprise to regain his commanding tone. "What are you doing here?"

"Yous asked me to meet you here an drag the pod back." Thunderhoof replied, shaking a branch from his antlers as he pressed further. "But again, what are yous doin?"

"Searching for its occupant." Steeljaw answered as smoothly as he could manage. Humiliated that he'd let himself drift off out in the open, particularly in front of Thunderhoof of all bots, the wolf hardly felt comfortable remaining in his presence any longer. He needed to escape, before his body's urges betrayed his better judgement once more.