Ten

Two months later, Emma is waiting for the news. She keeps checking the time even though she has set a reminder on a local channel that she knows will definitely broadcast it. It always includes the most dramatic stories on its bulletin. The reminder shows up. The news starts and there it is, it made the headlines. A picture of Robert is shown and later, a supermarket going up in flames.

Former bank manager’s supermarket razed down.

No human life lost, thank fully. Millions of property and savings razed down. Things have gone excellently, as if destiny planned it all. The Congolese man, a former employee did a good job and the bus he boarded will be in Rwanda in the morning. The CCTV cameras of neighboring establishments will show him but they’ll never find him. Even if they do, nothing will link him to her as they didn’t have many physical interactions.

He made sure to steal enough money before running off to his country.

Laughing, Emma shakes her head. She’s far too good at this thing called revenge. Then she hears a knock and waits for whoever is out to speak. If it’s Robert, he’ll definitely kill her with his two hands. “Police. Open up.”

She opens up before they kick her door down. The Ugandan police are capable of that and more.

“Are you Emma?”

“Yes.”

“Where were you at five pm?”

“I was at work at the shoe factory. Why?

“A man you accused of rape recently has had his supermarket burned down. Did you have anything to do with that?”

“Oh no I didn’t do anything. I’ve just seen it on the news. It’s a pity.”

“Are you sure you had nothing to do with it?”

“Nothing.”

“Okay. We’ll go now but don’t leave town.”

It’s a miracle. Most suspects are taken to the station immediately.

“You can’t leave me alone,” she wears a perfect face of fear.

“Why not?”

“He might think it’s me and he’ll kill me.”

“I don’t think so. We have a lot of work to do. Just don’t open your door to anyone.”

“No.”

“Goodnight.”

Later, there’s a knock. It’s him, for sure. He knows.

“Emma,” she recognizes the voice of one of the guards at the building and releases a breath.