𝟏.𝟏𝟕 - 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧𝐬

Monday morning rolled around and you, like the rest of the Slytherin girls, woke up around six-thirty before dressing in your uniforms. The mood in the dorm was sullen and remorseful with the events of last week still present in your minds. Pansy waited patiently near the door as you slipped on your shoes. You could tell she had so much to say but even she understood that now was not the time. 

 You found Draco leaning against the stone wall outside of the common room. He was playing with the hem of his sleeve, otherwise completely composed. It looked almost as if his meltdown the night before had never happened. Although, that was probably his intent either way. 

Something inside him broke that night in front of the fire. You didn't know exactly what it was or if your comforting words had done anything to heal it, but you knew that he would tell you everything once he was ready. Until then the only thing you could do was wait.

 Approaching him with a warm smile, you stuck out your hand for him to take. "You ready?" You ask. He let go of his sleeve and captured your hand in his own, pushing himself off of the wall. He didn't smile but you hadn't expected him to.

 You entered the Great Hall side by side. The usually brightly colored curtains were charmed into various shades of black and grey. They blended with the black of your uniform robes. The only thing standing out in the dull room was Professor Dumbledore who was dressed in his long signature silvery-blue robes.

Instantly after entering the room, you tried to seek out Harry and the others. After a few moments of searching, you saw him, Ron, and Hermione seated in the second row near the front of the room. You made a mental note to approach them after the assembly.

 Draco squeezed your hand one last time before letting go. You narrowed your eyes, looking up at him in question. The corner of his lip lifted into a half smile as he waved you off. "Go," he said. "I'll be here."

Your dress shoes clicked against the floor, the only sound in the otherwise silent room. You walked down the rows and rows of students before coming upon the front where Harry and a few other Gryffindors were sat. There was just enough room on the end for you to sit and you did so, tucking your robes underneath you.

Harry glanced up and smiled weakly. Two fresh scars were embedded into his jaw and you could see the outline of a thick gauze bandage under his sleeve. You carefully nudged your pinky against his and he wasted no time before intertwining the two fingers.

From his throne-like chair at the head of the room, Dumbledore stood and folded his hands behind his back. "Today we acknowledge a terrible loss," he spoke as he paced the platform. "Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly, a fierce friend. Now I think you all have the right to know exactly how he died."

 Your eyes flickered nervously over to Harry just to see that he was staring intensely at your two hands, jaw clenched tightly. He already knew all of what Dumbledore was saying and now he was having to experience it a second time for the sake of everyone else. 

 "You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic wishes me not to tell you this, but I think by not it would be an insult to his memory."

 As Dumbledore droned on, you found yourself latching onto Harry's hand for comfort. He administered a quick squeeze and you returned it.

 "Now the pain we all feel from this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events, the bonds we've made this year will be more important than ever."