𝟏.𝟏𝟓 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤

Winter was gone almost as soon as it arrived. The third and final task was set to take place in only a few short hours and you were beyond nervous on Harry's behalf. The weather had warmed up again and you were finally able to dress comfortably outdoors despite the ever-present chill in the night-time air.

The gravel path that led to the third task arena had been illuminated by enchanted lanterns that hovered in the air at waist height. You were a little late on arriving so you walked the path alone from the school. 

 Just as you were about to climb the steps into the stands, you saw Harry pacing back and forth a few yards away. His face was illuminated by the dying sunlight overhead. By the time the task began, it would be well past sunset.

"Harry?" You asked, taking a few steps closer to him. He looked up from his hands suddenly as if you had startled him. "What are you still doing out here?"

"I-I was waiting for you," he responded, his answer shocking you. "I needed to see you. I figured since you were good luck during the first trial..." His voice trailed off and you took another step. 

 "Is that so?" You winked, an idea twinkling in the forefront of your mind. Without applying any further thought, you reached up and with both hands, turned Harry's face to the side and applying a swift kiss to his right cheek. You pulled away, grinning from ear to ear. "How's that for good luck?"

He looked stunned for a moment before snapping out of his daze and nodding shakily. "Yeah, that'll do it." You shared a laugh before Ron came up from behind you.

"(Y/N)," He said, "'Mione told me to come to find you. We've got you a seat with us in the champion's box." 

You looked back at Harry one last time to see his fingers gently grazing the spot on his cheek where you had kissed him. "Alright, I'm coming," you said, following Ron away and into the box.

The amphitheater was filled to the brim with spectators. A separate box off to the side held the school band who were just then striking up with a festive song. "Outta the way!" Ron exclaimed, barreling through the packed walkway with you right behind him. "Friends of the champion coming through!"

You suppressed giggles as Ron's antics granted you dirty looks from the students you were treading over. Hermione moved over as you approached the box, letting Ron slide in next to her leaving you to sit closest to the aisle.

 There were three other boxes at the edge of the semi-circle surrounding the tall hedge maze. They held the champion's families who had traveled just to see their children compete. It hit you suddenly that you, Ron, and Hermione were the only ones seated in Harry's box. You knew that Harry was an orphan and that his aunt and uncle were muggles, but it still ushered forth a pang of sadness in your heart. You were Harry's only family. 

The music grew louder as the champions began appearing one by one in the arena. First came Cedric, then Krum. As Krum appeared, a stern and guttural chant broke out, mostly amongst Slytherins and Durmstrang boys. You glanced over at the Slytherin section to see Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco all waving the red and black Durmstrang flag. Crabbe even had the word 'Krum' painted across his forehead in all caps. You were glad that they were actually cheering for someone rather than praying for Harry's downfall.

Fleur appeared second to last with Madame Maxime following close behind her. Last to enter was Harry with Dumbledore's hand secured tightly on his shoulder. As soon as you saw him, all three of you stood up and began to cheer, waving your hands rapidly in the air in an attempt to get his attention. Even from up in the box, you could tell from his body language that he was nervous. Harry didn't turn around to face the crowds until he was standing beside Dumbledore's podium in a straight line with the other champions.