𝟏.𝟖 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐤

The day of the first task had finally come and everyone was excused from their classes so that they could fill the stands and cheer for their favorite champions. You had discarded your uniform in favor of a wool cap and an oversized Slytherin sweater. 

It wasn't quite winter but the sharp chill in the air told you the season was fast approaching. You were walking down the dirt path toward the Quidditch pitch that had been altered to fit the events of the tournament, brown combat boots kicking up dust as you went.

"There's our favorite Slytherin," purred two familiar voices. You whipped your head around to see Fred and George lounging by the side of the pathway. George had a briefcase open in his lap, various coins spilling out of it. He caught you looking and waved his hands over it. "Care to make a bet? We've got at least twenty galleons toward Miss Fleur as of today."

You shook your head, smiling at their antics. The twins were growing on you, believe it or not. Turning away to continue your walk, Fred jumped up and held his hand out for you to wait. "What's your hurry? I've got something for you."

"I don't want candy that's gonna make me throw up if that's what you're offering."

"You're a girl after my own heart, Firethorn. But no, I'm saving those for paying customers." He winked and dug around in the pocket of his vest before producing a flat round object and holding it out to you in one hand. You approached him slowly, taking the thing in your hand to observe it closely. Upon further inspection, you could see that he had charmed one of the Potter Stinks pins to change the message entirely. It was now red and gold with the words 'Potter for the Win!' printed around the top.

"Figured you'd get a kick out of that," Fred grinned, hands digging back into his pockets. You nodded excitedly and fidgeted for a moment as you pinned it to your sweater. "I love it, thank you!"

He only shrugged and eyed you expectantly. "How about something for my troubles?" Rolling your eyes, you fished into your back pocket and produced a single golden coin, slapping it onto his open hand.

 "You're lucky I like the pin." 

As you were finally walking away, you heard him call out behind you. "No, I'm lucky you like Potter!" coupled with a hardy chuckle from George. 

With your new button standing out proudly on your green sweater, you walked closer to the pitch until you caught sight of Hermione standing by herself. At breakfast, she had told you to meet up with her so you could sit together in the stands. You waved and she smiled as you drew closer.

"You ready?" You ask. 

She looked nervous and her eyes drifted toward the Champion's tent. "Do you think maybe we could go check on Harry first? I have a bad feeling."

You agreed and looked around for anyone that might be watching before side-stepping to the entrance of the large white canopy tent. With one hand, you pulled back the flap and peered inside. The interior was nice as far as tents went. 

The floor was hardwood and there was a bed for each champion separated by a thin white curtain. You spotted Harry right away, pacing back and forth and wringing his hands. His champion uniform fit him nicely. The hem reflected on his house colors with a bright red lining that stood out against the jet black robes and pants.

Clearing your throat as quietly as you could, you watched as his shoulders tightened before turning to face you. He was nervous and rightfully so. You still had no idea what the first task was but something told you it wouldn't be easy. Harry's surprised expression melted into a delighted grin as he hurried over with his arms outstretched.

You threw your arms around his neck and squeezed tightly, burying your head in his shoulder. He did the same, hands tightly gripping your waist. You could hear him sighing into your hair.