Chapter 3 ➛Ties of Family

Start from the beginning

I took them and immediately noticed my hands started to tremble again. What if you find something you don't want to know?

The thought came sudden and unwanted. I was nervous enough already. I couldn't use these thoughts at the moment. So, ignoring it and deciding to do it quickly so as not to have any more of these thoughts, I opened the case and looked at the first page.

My mind was racing as I read the first few words. After staying silent for several seconds, Robert caught my gaze and watched me questioningly. ''So? What does it say?'' he asked impatiently.

I shrugged and said, ''basically, it confirms that the name of my mother is Naomie Peterson. It also states her date of birth, which is actually in two days. However, the identity of my father is unknown.'' I sighed tiredly.

''Can I see?''

I passed him the page before I continued to the next. On which, to my greatest surprise, was stated where my mother lived. ''Bobby,'' I whispered, my voice barely audible. ''Look,'' I said incredulously as I passed him the page. He took it curiously, scanning the contents. I saw his gaze halt on the address.

''We know where she lives,'' I stated calmly before locking eyes with him. There was a curt silence before we both burst out laughing. ''We know where my mother is!'' I shouted with obvious glee overflowing my voice. I sprang up from my chair and started dancing around. ''I'm going to meet my mother!'' I yelled happily.

''And maybe,'' I said as I stopped and turned to Robert. ''She can tell me about my dad!'' I watched Robert look at me with a broad grin before he, too, stood up and we started dancing together.

''We found them,'' I whispered, suddenly overwhelmed by emotion. ''We found them. Finally...'' I sat down and felt tears form in my eyes. I knew now, that all my efforts had been rewarded, and I was finally going to take what I deserved. Which was knowledge of my actual heritage.

The cold wind hit our faces as we arrived at the edge of the village in which my mother lived. Or used to live.

The address mentioned in my files were recorded when I was brought to the orphanage. There was a chance she wasn't here at all, but I tried to ignore that possibility. Mostly because every time I thought of it sent a wave of anxiety through my stomach and the nerves almost got me to throw up.

We followed the signs and roads until we came to a desolate cottage which looked abandoned.

This was the house the address belonged to, which meant my mother was inside.

I strode forward toward the cottage, no longer being able to keep in my nerves and insecurities. I sped toward the door, Robert at my heels, calling for me to slow down. I ignored him, his voice only a faint sound in the back of my mind.

I noticed a graveyard further down the road. Expensive looking stones were sitting on the soil, marking the place where a dead body was buried below. I shivered at the thought and returned my attention to the cottage.

Then suddenly I stood in front of the door, knocking three times, then taking a step back. Robert finally caught up with me, trying to catch his breath. He bent over on his knees, but I was too preoccupied with the fact I was about to see my mother.

We stood there for several seconds before I knocked again, impatiently leaning on the balls of my feet. When the door remained shut I moved to a window and peered inside. There was no light, no movement.

I could already feel the fear creeping up on me when there was suddenly a voice behind us. ''Can I ask what you're doing?''

I turned around, my breathing quick and my heart hammering in my chest.