22 | Aftermath

A riot. A gunshot.

            A loud thump against the floor. And more blood.

            "Don't move." William's lips move fast above me. My knee is jammed close to my stomach and his arms are still around me.

            "What's going on?" I try to get up, but his hand pushes down on the small of my back.

            "Don't get up, Evelyn." He warns, jumping to his feet.

In an instant he dives forward and disappears from my side, leaving me defenseless.

            I lift my hand to the gash in my head. Who was shot? Why? Who?

            People scurry around the room, falling left and right, treading on other people in search of an exit.

            It's complete bedlam. I find myself wondering how many of these townspeople have never heard a gunshot before.

            "Get her OUT OF HERE!" A raspy voice thunders.

            "NOW!" Another booms.

            At first I suspect William, but instead I see Chief Brynne and Tyse staring wide-eyed at my wrinkled figure. The Enforcer is still holding his black gun, barrel pointed into the crowd.

            A raking sound starts on my left as chairs and tables are pushed aside. Someone is walking toward me.

            "Evelyn," a harried voice whispers close to my ear. "Evelyn, can you hear me?"

            I remember William's instructions to stay down. A small hand cups the side of my head and I recoil at the touch.

            "Where's the blood coming from?" The voice whispers again, hands still searching. I still cannot place the voice.

            "I... I don't know. Charlotte?"

My head is spinning again. The room is spinning. Dizziness is the only thing in place.

            "Can you move? Can you get up?"

            "I don't–" My lungs feel empty.

Am I losing too much blood? I look at the floor, at the spot where my pool of blood collides with the river from the crowd.

            "I said get her out, NOW!" Tyse's voice is louder still.

            "Take her to the Refinery and tell Bishop what's happened. GO."

            "And if we run into others?" My savior asks.

            "Pray that you don't."

            "I'm going to pull you up now, okay?"

I feel arms beneath me, pulling up under my shoulders. I lean my frame against a slim body and stare down at the navy blue suit, now purple, soaked with blood.

            Katherine Kline supports my weight, half walking and half dragging me across the floor to the side door. We push through into the sunlight, leaving the commotion of the courtroom behind. I can feel the uneven cobblestones beneath my feet and can hear the faint flowing of the Square's sculpture.

            Why is she helping me? Who was shot?

            "Try to steady your feet, Evelyn." Kline urges almost pleasantly. I try, but to no avail.