18 | the Reservoir

The gravel road leading to Cedar Lodge has been reduced to a tiny winding dugout with high snowy walls and a gray sky ceiling. The millpond beyond the stables is now a sheet of solid ice.

            I wondered what this weather meant for traveling, with the main transportation system involving waterways and all. Turns out, the riverroads never actually freeze. If it gets too cold, they just readjust the water temperature.

There hasn't been a resurfacing in nearly three weeks since the turn of the New Year. Nic asserts there hasn't been a dry-spell this long since before Brynne took over command.

            The Refinery and hospital are empty too. The halls are quiet. I attend my shift to check on Anna and Chase.  Adara is beside herself with boredom so she's taken to changing the bed sheets three times a day. She tries to find tasks for the nursing staff but they're all aimless –clean the sink, sweep the floor, fluff the pillows.

            Tria sees the extra downtime as a positive –time to relax and unwind. She sits on the bed in front of the nursing station with her feet up –submerged in a book, sipping on the Hopplebee's CocoMint. Adara remains silent –glaring from her post.

            Adara is another one who's on to me, although I know she would never admit to her interest in fear of admitting she's concerned about my wellbeing. Every now and then when I begin to lose myself, I notice her watching me intently.

            It's still early, just after dawn –the time Garners usually arrive with wash-ups. The room is still and quiet with no sign of activity; the Garners must have returned empty handed again. Anna and Chase are both asleep.

            Three beds down from Tarzan and behind the separation curtain there's Kent. From what Tria told me, Kent has been living in the Refinery for almost 25 years. He's almost pushing forty now!

            After Kent resurfaced and after he failed both Evaluations, Kemper put in to have him transferred to the Regal Refinery in Ashland, a neutral territory located in the center of the Five Lands. Unfortunately, spots at the Rock are reserved for the most severe refusals and his behavior hasn't gotten that out of hand.

            "I personally never understood it," Tria admits through sips. "He could have his fair pick of us but he only has eyes for her. I mean don't get me wrong... Are you listening, Evelyn?"

            "Hmm? Oh yes. Eyes for her." I roll my eyes. Tria seems momentarily satisfied.

            "I was saying, don't get me wrong Adara can be pleasant, on occasion." She continues ranting, vilifying her coworker left and right.

            I laugh to myself, trying to remember the last time Adara was pleasant on occasion.

            "And what about Riley, anyway? Is he still only interested in Lane?" Tria asks, sheer distaste dripping from her words.

            "Y–yes. I think." I lie, knowing for a matter of fact that Riley is head over heels.

            "Well, if you ask me the Garners aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway. Slim pickings." She laughs.

            "What about Parker?" I mumble. "You two are close in age, and I haven't seen him going with anyone. I think he's available."

            "Parker! No way." Tria almost blushes behind her mug. "He's too... boyish." She bites her lip.

            "Boyish," I repeat. "I guess that leaves William." I regret saying it before I finish, remembering their flirtatious exchange at the ball.