1️⃣6️⃣

Emerson

Entering my second year of college would much easier this time when fall would come in two months, especially because I had someone like Lois to keep me company there and to help me feel less lonely than I had been these past few years. Last thing I expected was for her to accept my past and my family's true background. And she still somehow loved me even when I told her of some horrible things Remington had to do to get to where he is now. I explained that he feels intense remorse for acting like God in some cases, but he hopes that by protecting good people and purging evil people, he'll be able to make up for his sins.

"I mean, your brother is only human", she said to me as we laid on my bed one lazy Sunday morning in the summer, "I can understand that he'd try his best to be a better person than most worthless scum in this city, but the way you explain his attitude, I hope he still knows he should still love himself." I was surprised by her statement, especially since I had been thinking the same thing ever since our parents were killed.

"You're right, Lois", I added as i held her hand securely in mine, "I've been worrying the same thing, too. He believes he should have done something more to prevent our parents' tragedy, but we were told a million times there wasn't anything we could do and that our parents would rather have us still living than all of us dead. Me and Sebastian accepted it even when it broke our hearts, but Remington never seemed to recover."

I felt Lois inch closer and snuggle under my chin as she wrapped her arms around me and made me feel less sad for my brother. I planted soft kisses on her hand as I kept holding it. She's made me so happy, I'm so afraid something about me will drive her away, but her promise to stay close to me always reassures me I'm only letting my fears try to get the best of me. When I last contacted Rem about a few nights ago, he sounded preoccupied and like he wasn't paying full attention to me.

"He seems to be hiding something these days, the way he sounded like there's something else in his life that needed more attention than me", I pondered. "What if its not something he's hiding", Lois suggested, "But someone? Maybe he's found someone he cares about a lot." I thought about it, but it seemed unlikely since Rem was scared of losing people like his family so he keeps us apart.

"I mean", Lois continued, "When you met me, you seemed scared that I could be in danger because of your family's background and I understand if you haven't told your brothers about me. You might think I feel hurt about it, but the truth is, I haven't had someone care about me this much since...I can't even remember. I just know that I want to stay with you for as long as I can until my days are numbered because your love keeps me happy to be alive."

I stared in awe of the amazing woman who looked up at me with such devotion and sincerity in her eyes, it was hard to believe those eyes were looking at me. I leaned in closer to plant a few soft kisses on her face before I went to her lips in which she didn't hesitate to kiss back. I pulled her closer to me as I wrapped my arms around her tightly and she lost her hands in my hair. I've never loved anyone like I've loved Lois, and I didn't care if it meant the end of my life.

I pulled away after a couple of minutes and pondered at the possibility that Remington may have found someone for him. If this is true, he most likely told Sebastian about her first because he trusts him with pretty much everything. It's not that they don't trust me as much, they're just afraid I get involved any way possible, I could be targeted. That doesn't really matter to me anymore though, I just want to be involved in my brothers' lives. And if he's found someone, I wonder if she's kind and pure and innocent.

Just like he used to be...

Hello (from the dead, jk 🙃). Yes, I'm actually trying to continue this story and the previous chapter that stated this story was discontinued was only something I wrote in the heat of the moment. The truth is, this story is one of my favorites that I came up with and I will try my best to continue it a little more and possibly finish it out as well. If there's any questions about me picking up writing again, you can ask them here or tell me what you think of it so far after this short chapter that's basically a filler.