4️⃣

Remington

This week was my birthday, and usually I'd be passive about it yet still kind to anyone who gave me kind wishes, but just a few days before, Miles pissed me off more than I needed him to. I was away from my usual precinct for a while to check on Richard and Edward's parents, and when I came back, I heard from an eyewitness that Miles had paid some dirty cops to arrest a family who couldn't pay his fee for keeping their business.

I confronted him about it and the smug bastard attempted to lie to my face about the situation, "Remmy, baby", he said to me like I was stupid or something, "I know I'm not an angel, but why would I punish kids as well?"

"Because you don't give a shit about anyone but yourself", I spat back at him fuming with fury at his actions, "and the day you feel any shame will be the day pigs start flying!"

He rolled his eyes and gave in, "Fine, Mr. Sore Loser. Maybe I did tip off the police about the family business, but they already knew I take my deadlines very seriously."

"Those were MY clients, you fucker! Stay on your turf and I'll stay on mine, and then this shit doesn't have to happen!"

"Alright, alright! I'll make a deal with the station so they let them go. Jesus, just like a baby: crying every time their shit gets taken away..."

"Fucking shut up, Miles! Just don't let this shit happen again."

With that, I proceeded to leave his office in his high-class mansion. But before I walked past the doorway, he stopped me.

"Hold on, Remington. I want to make amends for upsetting you. Will you let me do that one thing and we can call a good truce?"

I turned back to him with a skeptical look on my face. He never does anything nice for me, so this was obviously strange. He had a smile on his face, but I knew it was fake. Maybe he just wants to seem like he's a good person and wants to use me as a tool.

Whatever, he can try this once, but if he screws me over, he'll be declaring an unwanted war. And I know I might not win, but neither will he.

"Fine, Miles", I sighed in defeat, "A truce is what we need so you can do this." He clapped his hands and stuck one out for me to shake, "So, we have a deal?"

I looked at his hand then at him, still a bit unsure but I wanted my clients to remain safe from his fatal control. I shook his hand and nodded, "Deal. Now, what's your idea of making a truce between us?"

He wiggled his eyebrows up and down and suggested, "Someone nice and sexy to spend the night with?"

I was dumbfounded and slightly appalled.

"A hooker? You want to sell me a hooker to make a truce? Can you be any lower, Miles?"

He held up a finger, "Not just a simple one. These are the best ones I've placed under my care and wing, and they always get called back more than once. I promise you: The one you choose is guaranteed to make you forget about the beef between us."

I cocked an eyebrow at him, not surprised he would view women as items instead of people. But he must have known my birthday was coming up, and I usually feel the loneliest on that day, so maybe some comfort -no matter how shallow it may be - might help me forget about all the bullshit I deal with everyday.

"Fine. But if I'm not satisfied, I will call you out for lying to me and selling me an inexperienced girl. There's a policy on hookers and you better not break someone's virginity with me. I'm not like that to take advantage of them, and you should know that before you offer me someone who doesn't know what she's doing or doesn't like it."

He nodded once and replied with, "Very well, Remington. You won't have anyone inexperienced lined up before you. I promise to have my best girls ready for you."

"Whatever, Miles. Just don't make me regret my decision."

I finally walked out of his place and then back to mine. My mind pondered as I wondered what his intentions were trying to make peace with me. He's tried shit before and usually doesn't give a fuck, but why does he want to make nice with me now?

And these prostitutes... Poor girls have to use their bodies to make a living when that should never be the case. I don't like inviting them because I feel like that will make me seem less like a good person and make me look like I only see girls as objects of pleasure when that isn't the case. If they want to, I'll invite them, and I usually never see them again. I doubt anyone wants to stay with me with the kind of life I've signed myself up for anyway.

I'm not expecting this to make my birthday any better, but if it means Miles will stop terrorizing the people I protect from him and the city, I'll do it just to get it off my chest and hopefully help that poor family from having to go through what they just have.

But if the girl I choose isn't up for it, I won't force her. We'll just say we did, and she doesn't have to feel pressured to do something she doesn't want. I'm the human one while Miles already killed his soul when he made a pact with those rich and corrupted bastards I despise more than anything.

Because the day I fall for someone - much less a hooker - I'm not sure how much longer I can keep living like this.