Epilogue

EPILOGUE

The day was hectic, not as hectic as her wedding day, but still hectic enough. She couldn’t believe that she’d already been married for five years. It had been five years since she’d walked down the aisle—and Special Agent Alex Diaz was waiting for her by the altar.

She was ready to admit that at times, she didn’t even think that she’d ever get to where she was now. When she told Alex she wasn’t in love with him, she meant it, but she wasn’t telling him the entire truth. The entire truth was that, well, she wasn’t in love with him, but she knew how easy it would have been to fall in love with him.

That time simply hadn’t been the right time to tell him that.

She had a lot of things to sort out, first, like the fact that her sister was in jail. Both of her parents were devastated, and it seemed like they’d finally agreed to something after a very long time. They both took responsibility for what happened and no longer wanted to bite each other’s head off.

Kelsey visited Kara in prison and they managed to work through the differences and form a healthy sibling relationship.

Alex waited a month before properly asking Kelsey out. She had no reason to say no. They dated for one whole year before Alex proposed to her. Kelsey knew he’d waited to respect her wishes. She didn’t want to rush into a marriage. A year had been enough time for them to get to know each other without any danger or adrenaline involved. They’d gotten married in a simple church wedding a week after Alex had proposed.

It turned out that Maria had been planning their wedding for two months before Alex’s proposal. Kelsey smiled, eying the simple wedding ring on her finger. It was a gold band. She hadn’t wanted anything fancy. She didn’t want to embellish her relationship. She wanted to keep it simple and meaningful.

Verona groaned behind her and Kelsey turned around with a smile on her face. “How are you doing?” She asked her very pregnant cousin.

“I’m ready to kick the baby out of the house, if that’s what you’re asking.” Verona irritably responded, placing a hand on her bloated stomach.

“I know how you feel.” Kelsey assured her cousin.

Verona frowned. “I know. I can't even call you a hypocrite for it.”

Kelsey smiled, peering at the baby crib in the corner of the room. She had just given birth a little more than a month ago to a beautiful little girl. She’d just put her daughter to sleep a little while ago and wasn’t ready for her to wake up again.

There was a knock on the door before Alex pushed it open. “How are my ladies doing?” He asked with a handsome smile on his face. Fatherhood had done him well. After their daughter was born, it seemed like Alex visibly relaxed and found more and more opportunities to be at home.

Alex loved them both a lot and Kelsey couldn’t have asked for a better husband and a better father to her child. He grinned at Kelsey and walked over to her, planting a gentle kiss on her lips.

“Awful!” Verona exclaimed. “Freaking awful. Where is my baby daddy?”

Alex frowned, a worried expression appearing on his face. “It seemed that something came up and Dylan had to go to work to investigate something.” Verona raised an eyebrow. “Confidential.” Alex responded, anticipating the question.

Verona groaned. “I’m going to kill him when I see him.”

“Is that a threat?” Alex raised an eyebrow. “Because threatening a government agent like that is a serious crime.”