Chapter 4 - The Body

Chapter 4 – The Body

Agent Diaz came to a stop on front of her house. Kelsey glanced over at him, before pushing the door open. “Thank you.” She muttered under her breath.

Much to her surprise, Alex turned Aoff the engine and got out of the car, too. She watched him curiously and cautiously before she gave him a questioning look. He grinned. “I want to check something.” He said.

Kelsey nodded, walking over to her door. She could sense that he was right behind her, but she didn’t bother to turn around and look at him. He was tall, towering over her small frame of a meager five feet and two inches.

She made it all the way to her front door before she realized that she didn’t have her keys and turned around to face Alex, expectantly, who had a small grin on his face. His hand was in front of her face, her keys dangling on his fingers. She quickly reached out and grabbed them, inserting the correct one into her lock and opening her door.

As expected, as soon as the door opened, Professor was right there waiting to jump into Kelsey’s arms. And, expecting it as usual, she easily caught the cat with a big smile on her face, almost forgetting about the cop standing behind her.

She only remembered when he heard him clear his throat behind her. Kelsey turned around instantly, clutching Professor in her arms. He was looked down at her with his warm eyes. “I guess that confirms that.” He said, suddenly.

Kelsey looked at him confused. “Huh?”

Alex gave her a small smile. “I didn’t exactly believe that you had your cat attacked me according to its own will. I wanted to see if you lied.”

Understanding dawned on Kelsey’s features and she turned to Alex, feeling a little offended. “I’m sorry, Officer, but I didn’t lie to you.”

It was bad enough that her sister had been in L.A. for nearly six months and she didn’t know about it. She knew that she and Kara had grown apart in the past few years but she, at least, deserved a visit, if only for the reason that they looked alike.

“I understand.” Alex smiled at Kelsey. Her stomach churned at his smile. Kelsey wanted to scold herself for finding his smile, alluring. He was only watching her because he thought she could lead him to Kara, and Kelsey really did want to. If the man Kara was with was really as dangerous as Alex was making him out to be, Kelsey wanted her sister as far away from him as possible. Kelsey stepped into the house, dropping Professor to the floor. Alex came inside behind her. She didn’t know what to say, and unfortunately, she didn’t need to come up with anything. “Can you tell me what you intend to do as soon as I leave?”

Kelsey didn’t try to hide that she found his question weird. “Well, I have papers to grade and I need to go over tomorrow’s lesson plan.”

“So, you’re not planning on trying to contact your sister?” Alex asked, straight-forward. In fact, his straight-forwardness caught Kelsey by surprise as she struggled to provide an answer for him. He was right. Kelsey did intend to contact Kara. She didn’t want to let Kara know that she knew what was going on. She just wanted to remind Kara that she was in the city, just in case she needed Kelsey’s help at some point. “It’s okay.” Alex said, before Kelsey could come up with something. “I know you probably don’t want to discuss that with me, but I would like it if your sister does contact you, if you would contact me or my team.”

“Why would I hand over my sister to the cops?” Kelsey asked, taking note of the assumption that Alex seemed to take. Kelsey may not be as connected to her sister as they used to be, but Kelsey was not a backstabber.