Chapter 16 - Insightful Chatting

Chapter 16 – Insightful Chatting

“You really owe me, Kelp.” Verona said as she hopped onto Kelsey’s bed. “Normally, people who want my help have to pay me, but since we’re related, I’ll be generous.”

Kelsey smiled. Yes, Verona was a handful at times, but after what happened with Kara, Verona was now her new best friend. “What do you want?” Kelsey asked, fully aware of the fact that she did owe Verona, and she’d already made arrangements.

“I’m kidding.” She smiled. “You’re my friend. You’ve requested my assistance. Are you going on a date with the hunky cop again?”

Kelsey nodded. “He invited me to his sister’s wedding lunch today. Tomorrow’s the wedding, too. He asked me to come.”

Verona’s big brown eyes widened. “He’s introducing you to his family after one date? You must give me tips, cousin.”

Kelsey rolled her eyes. “It’s not like that.” And it wasn’t. After all, the ‘date’ Verona had in mind had ended in gunshots and a couch bed for Alex. Come to think of it, Alex hadn’t taken her on an official date yet. The rethought it. No, no date, not unless a water bottle on an interrogation room table counted.

“You never told me how your date went, or why you dressed up like Kara.” Verona said, looking genuinely curious. Kelsey glanced at her, though a little apprehensively. Kara’s situation was limited to the four of them, not including the entire police force. No one in the family knew about it and Kelsey wasn’t sure if she had the right to tell.

“Because guys always go for Kara.” Kelsey truthfully avoided the truth. “I thought that dressing up like Kara might…” Her voice trailed off. “But that doesn’t matter anymore. Alex assured me that he likes me, not Kara.”

“When did he meet Kara?” Verona asked, and Kelsey realized she’d slipped up.

“Mom and Kara are both here. Mom’s at Dad’s house, surprisingly. Kara’s with her…boyfriend.” If Verona noted the hesitation in Kelsey’s voice, she didn’t point it out. She only nodded, thoughtfully.

“That was quick.” She mused. “Is he hot?”

“Like you won't believe it.”

Verona shrugged. “Then he must be an ass. Kara always did have horrible taste in men. Is he a jerk?”

Kelsey just stared at Verona. Her guesses were spot on. Of course, she couldn’t tell her that. “The biggest kind of jerk.” She told her.

“But she won't dump him?” Kelsey shook her head.

“She thinks she’s in love with him.” Kelsey told her. “I don’t know. She might be, but other than his face, I don’t really see what there is to love about him.” He was a sadistic pig. He wasn’t someone Kelsey wanted anyone to get involved with.

“You know what? I don’t even know why we’re talking about her. You know I don’t like her. Tell me about the cop. He’s a hunky piece of meat. Is he good?” Verona asked, her eyes wide as she stared at Kelsey with anticipation.

“Yeah. He’s good.” Kelsey told her. “I haven’t known him for very long, but he’s not mean or arrogant. I can't stand people like that. Alex is nice. He’s a little too focused on work, but then I’d be worried about the state of the nation if he wasn’t.”

“You know that’s not what I’m asking you about.” Verona said, shaking her head.

“Then?” Kelsey asked, confused. What was Verona asking her about, then?