chapter seventeen

The first day back to school was rough to say the least.

At the start of her day, an overwhelming feeling of paranoia creeped into her body. Paranoia she wasn't aware she'd have to deal with. Every corner she turned it felt like a looming presence was right behind her, just waiting to snatch her up. But everytime she anxiously ripped her head around, no one was there.

Entering the school did give her slight relief, knowing that dozens of heroes were in the same building was comforting.

But what wasn't so pleasant, was the bombarding attack by her classmates the second she stepped foot through the door.

"Y/N! You're okay!" Denki and Mina shouted in unison, a mixture of tears and snot rolling down their face. They launched at the startled girl, enveloping her into a hug.

She laughed and patted their backs, somehow the situation turned to her comforting her worried peers.

The door opened abruptly, "Alright, alright, that's enough. I'm sure we were all worried about L/N, but give the girl a break, a well needed one." Aizawa spoke.

Everyone started to calm down and settle in their seats.

"We're glad you're okay, L/N" He said softly, and for once he had a smile on his tired face.

"Glad to be back" She said, grinning.

Time passed, normally the slumberous girl would've been bored to no end, but today, she was happy to be in class. The happiness was short lasted.

"Hey, Y/N, what were you wearing when that person grabbed you?" Ochaco asked, pink lips curved into a cheeky smile.

She was stunned, "Excuse me?".

"Like, were you wearing something skimpy, or...cuz' I mean if you were, that's kind if just asking to be snatched up, isn't it?" She asked, feigning innocence, but the chillingly familiar look in her dark eyes was a dead giveaway.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Y/N asked in blatant disbelief, leaning away from the girl, venom in her normally sweet voice.

Ochaco jumped, as did the rest of the class.

The brunette fluttered her long lashes, "W-what do you mean? It was just a question.."

Y/N stared at the girl like she was the dumbest person on the planet, and it was starting to feel like she was. Was the girl just that much of a moron, or was she smarter than Y/N thought, and was asking this to get a reaction?

She took a deep breath, to stop herself from snapping, "I'm not even going to answer that, and don't ever ask me something stupid like that again"

A small wave of "Ooh's.." came from who was left in the room, luckily not too many.

Ochaco lifted her brows, her mouth open wide. She stumbled on her words and eventually she huffed and stormed from the room.

It was quiet for a few seconds, before everyone erupted into chatter.

"Put that bitch in her place Y/N, you go girl!" Mina cheered, giving her a high five.

"I-it wasn't all that.." She muttered looking the other way.

"Hell yeah it was all that! She's been rude to you all year, everyone's been waiting for you to say something. And plus I've never seen you angry before" Denki grinned.

She felt her face grow warm from the attention, she hid in her hands.

"We're just proud of you, that's all" Mina cheered.

"Yeah, took you long enough" Katsuki finally chipped in while packing up his stuff for the day.

She grinned at this, feeling an odd sense of happiness knowing that he specifically was proud of her. He smirked and patted her head.

"Oh! Speaking of Y/N, I heard you two went on a little date..?" Denki said, mischievous look on his face.

She wondered how he knew about their outing, Katsuki's eye twitched, he interrupted. "Shut up! It wasn't a date you dumbass!"

He grabbed her by the arm and quickly dragged the both of them out of the class before things got too awkward. The cackling of the two became quieter as they walked away.

"Hey, uh..I'll tell them to stop saying stuff like that" He said with an annoyed expression on his face.

"Stuff like what?"

"You know, like that date thing, it makes you uncomfortable or whatever right?"

She frowned at this. She was about to respond, and tell him it didn't bother her in the slightest, but he kept talking.

"And, the whole thing that happened, I want you to know that I'm not waiting for an answer or some bullshit like that,   I'm not entitled to one and I shouldn't have been all mad at you or whatever.." He mumbled more towards the end.

She said nothing, not expecting him to bring that up, much less apologize for it.

"I..I appreciate that, a lot"

He hummed and let go of her arm, shoving his hands in his pockets.

The spring sunlight shined down on his face, giving him an almost magical glow. A delicate flower petal slowly made its way down onto his hair, contrasting his seemingly harsh demeanor.

Without thinking she lifted a hand to take it off, he slightly flinched and looked at her strangely, about to question the action, but seeing the petal in between her fingers he calmed down.

She blew at it, watching it fly away with the rest of the stray leaves here and there.

The paranoia was gone, it was always gone when she was with him.

~~~