°°°20°°°

The week went by super slow. Like, all I really wanted to do was marry Snake Eyes, but the week just wouldn't go by.

As our wedding drew closer, I couldn't help but notice that Snake seemed to kind of brush off the topic. Every time I would bring it up, he would change the subject. I didn't really think anything of it, though. As long as I got to marry Declan, I was good to go.

It was a beautiful morning in late August that I awoke with a feeling of anxious excitement. It was finally my wedding day. That day took longer for me to get ready, as I'm sure most would have guessed. I had over a dozen women buzzing I'm and out of the dressing room, dolling me up for what should have been the best day of my life.

Adelaide drove me to the sight of our wedding, while my mom had already been there for hours setting up.

Rows were packed with close family and friends. Snake had suggested we keep it small and personal. I liked the idea.

It didn't take long for the ceremony to start, and I couldn't believe this was real. Was I really marrying the one guy that everyone in the world wanted?

The priest dragged on and on about all that matrimonial stuff. About half-way through, I saw worry flicker over Declan's face as he glanced at his watch, and then at his mother. What was going on?

I'm pretty sure it surprised everyone when, in a tight and strained voice, Snake interrupted the priest.

"Man and wife. Say man and wife!" He looked like he was going to pass out from fear. But why?

"Dec..." I got cut off by the priest doing as Snake bid. All oxygen left in me was lost as Snake crushed his mouth to mine, and became my husband.

Everything was slow-motion as we heard an entire crowd cheering in the background of our kiss. Simultaneously, though, piercing gunshots rang out, and Declan lurched forward violently.

He broke from me digging his fingers in my arm as he pulled me from the alter. He was running full speed, his blood staining my white gown. I would've tripped several times if he hadn't been holding me...dragging me.

It was all a blur. Everything. From my husband getting shot, to his pulling me down beside him in a bush. I heard distinct yells, and from what I could tell, they were all Russian.

"Declan! You're hurt! The Russians, they found us! I'm so sorry!" I was blubbering and sobbing and a huge mess.

"Scar, are you hurt? I'm so sorry. I...they weren't suppose to get here so soon. We need to stay quiet." He was mostly talking to himself, but one thing stuck out to me.

"You knew they were coming." It came out as a whisper, but not as a question. He had known.

"Scar-I...yes. I knew they would come. I warned you! You wouldn't listen. All I knew was that I had to marry you. I had to!" He looked guilty and worried and faint. He was losing a lot of blood.

"So, even though you knew we couldn't actually be together, you married me anyway? Didn't you think about the pain it would cause me?" I was hoarsly whispering.

"I did! But I also knew the danger for you. I had to marry you. So even if you go and leave me and divorce me, you'll know, but I won't. I'll still think I'm married to you, even though you won't really be."

"Wait! You're leaving? You're leaving me? No, no, no! You can't! Dec, I can't lose you! I can't. I can't." My voice trailed into sobs as his face turned down.

"I have to. Don't you see? We could never have a normal life together! We could never have kids! I can't ever just stay in one spot. Reich will find me. He will always find me. And I can ensure my own safety, but I can't promise that I can always protect you. If I leave, you'll be safe. Scar, if I lose you, I will die."

"But leaving is the same as losing..."

"But as long as I know you're alive, I will be able to manage."

"But even if I'm breathing, I will only be existing. On the inside, though,I will be dead."

"I will have Violet watching out for you. She will report to me if you're alright."

"Violet?"

"My sister..."

"You have a sister?"

"Yeah. She's biological, but she didn't know we were related before. She actually used to work for Reich trying to kill me. She has a way of...not being seen though."

"You're not seriously considering leaving, are you?" None of this seemed real. I could not lose him.

"No Scarlet Rose, I'm not considering it. This had been the plan ever since I realized I was in love with you."

"No, no, this can't be happening! Declan, Snake Eyes, I love you. I can't lose you or I will die."

"But you can't stay with me, else you face something far worse than death." He was whispering. I was touched as I watched tears roll down his cheeks, and him not even bother to wipe them away.

The bullet wound was in his back, and the blood was spreading everywhere.

"Scarlet, I love you, but I can't be with you." I had to be strong. I had to let him go. Mustering every ounce of courage I could not to fly into a fit of anger and hurt, I slowly wiped his tears away, ignoring my own.

"Go." My voice was a raspy whisper. Declan's eyes searched mine. They were so beautiful...he was so beautiful. I knew I would never forget him. "If you have to leave, then go. I'll remember you, though. I remember everyone that leaves." It was all I could do not to lean my forehead on his chest.

He didn't say anything, so I spoke up again.

"Maybe you shouldn't come back...maybe you shouldn't come back to me."

"Oh, you have no idea how fast my heart races when I see you. Will you...will you ever forget about me?" Declan's voice sounded uncertain, which made me want to hug him even harder.

"I will stop missing you, Declan, when I am with you again."

Leaning forward, I crushed my mouth to his for the last time. I felt his warm blood soaking into my gown and heard someone yelling Russian in the distance. It was time.

Snake Eyes, Declan Garrison, my husband and lover, broke from me. Running his calloused fingers over my soft lips one last time, Declan turned on his heel, blood running down his back and matting in his hair, and left me for good.