•••12•••

I didn't know how I understood it. It obviously was not in English.

Stoney gave me one last sharp look before disappearing out the window. Then, all of the glass was lifted in the air. It was actually quite beautiful.

I just sat there in awe and fear as each shard of glass slowly disappeared from the air.

After all the glass was cleaned up and all that was left was my blood all over the walls and carpet, Snake came to sit by me. All I saw in his face was guilt.

"I'm so sorry Scarlet. I should never have dragged you into this." His voice broke a little and he gave a short laugh. "I just couldn't resist. I mean, come on, who could resist someone like you?" I was pretty sure he was talking to himself now.

"Snake..." My voice was a rasp whisper. Unexpectedly, I broke down.

I was sobbing out of fear and confusion. Snake pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head repeatedly.

"Scar, it's okay. Just don't..." I interrupted him.

"No, Snake Eyes! How many more times am I gonna be attacked or nearly killed just from being near you? That-that thing! What was that?" I clutched his shirt and banged my head on his chest. Snake simply wrapped me tighter in his strong arms.

"I promise to-to tell you everything when we get the chance. But first, we have to get rid of these cuts and bruises on you and get you graduated."

What? Graduated? I was not waiting a week to find out what that dead...thing... was!

"I still have four more days until graduation! Why do I need to finish school first?" My voice was shaking and my bottom lip quivering.

I couldn't remember the last time I cried. I had had to be strong after my dad left and when they died. If I broke down, I knew Mom wouldn't make it.

It felt good to cry; to get the anger and hurt and betrayal of Dad and the loss of loved ones.

Sitting there on the lap of the mysterious bad boy of the district, I bawled and clutched his shirt in my fists. It seemed like hours we sat there like that.

Finally, the sun began to peek over the horizon. I stood up, drying my face. By now, I had no tears left and my eyes felt puffy and sore.

I wobbled on my feet and Snake had to steady me. I put my hand on his chest only to feel wetness. His white shirt was soaked clear through and then some!

"I am so sorry." That's all I could say. I was stunned that one person could produce so much tears.

He gave a hot laugh, saying, "Nah, don't worry about it. I got a hundred more shirts just like it." The smile on his face made me do something stupid. I kissed him.

I couldn't stop myself. It happened before I even realized I was doing it. I pressed my lips to his.

Soon the exchange turned deeper and hotter. All to soon, he broke from me.

"You're safe now. He won't bother you unless I'm around. I have to go." With one last look filled with regret and dread, the man I was falling in love with turned and left.

I went downstairs not a minute later to find my mom in the kitchen.

Wow! He really knows when to leave!

Mom turned to look at me and I was just waiting for her reaction to my blood and
wounds. But all she did was look a bit concerned.

"Are you alright? You look tired. What time did those boys leave last night?" I was shocked.

"Uh, yeah. I just went to bed late. They left just a bit after you did." I grabbed a piece of bread and went back up the stairs with Mom looking suspiciously after me.

As I walked into my room, I almost had a heart attack to find no blood anywhere and everything in its own place. Even more frightening was that my reflection in the mirror was completely flawless, with only small bags under my eyes.