twenty-nine

third wheeling and shit (x2)july 19th, 2020

july 19th, 2020

"IVY AND I WENT ON A ROADTRIP ONCE," JUNE TELLS LUCAS AFTER SHE CLOSES THE CAR DOOR. "It was a lot longer than this one though."

 "When she moved to New York, right?" Lucas asks.

 June nods. "I read The Hunger Games to her the whole drive."

 "So Kelso's staying with your parents, yeah?"

 June nods. "Ivy really wanted to bring him with, but my dad and I eventually talked her out of it."

 They sit in silence for a few moments before Lucas asks, "Are you nervous?" June gives him an odd look. "To see Awsten, I mean. You haven't seen him since filming ended, and now you two are officially...a thing.... So are you nervous?"

 "I think so," she tells him. She's not actaully sure. She's definetly excited, but nervous? Probably.

 He texted her last night and told her the show was officially on, that Geoff and Otto were on their way to LA as she read the text. He told her it was going to be small, an acoustic show, and wow, was June excited.

 Macy and Jack were supposed to come as well, but the two of them decided that five people was already a lot to stay in one apartment, seven would be way too much. So they stayed home. Lucas kind of really wanted them to come with, especially Macy.

july 20th, 2020

Yesterday, Lucas and June had left a little later than they wanted to, so they had to stay in a hotel for the night. But when they finally reached LA, June's hands were shaking.

 "Wait, can we stop there?" June asks, pointing to a coffee shop. Lucas agrees, and after a small while, they reach Awsten's apartment.

 They knock on the door, and Awsten grins when he opens it. "Do you have any mugs?" June asks, holding up two to-go coffee cups.

 "Really? You see me for the first time in months and that's the first thing you ask?" He invites them in. "How romantic of you."

 June sets the to-go cups down and kisses him briefly. "Well, I thought bringing you orange juice would be romantic enough that I wouldn't have to say anything cheesy."

 "Lets go get those coffee mugs, Romeo," Awsten rolls his eyes.

 "Why am I Romeo?" June laughs.

 "Guess I'll stand here by myself," Lucas calls after them, closing the apartment door. "Third wheeling and shit."

A few hours later, Ivy and Travis arrive.

 "We're all staying here?" Ivy asks, looking around Awsten's apartment. It's not small, but it's also not huge.

 "You wanna sleep on the sidewalk?" Awsten raises an eyebrow.

 "Please, I live in New York, Knight. I think I can handle your LA Criminals," she says with air quotes.

 Lucas suddenly realizes that he's both third wheeling with Awsten and June, and Ivy and Travis. Oh boy.

 They order dinner from some takeout restaurant Awsten likes, and they watch a movie. Awsten and June vote for Seven solely for the memories of their quarantine, and also because they know Lucas wont watch it.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules is suggested because it's on Disney+ and June and Lucas can't get over the fact that Rodrick looks exactly like Jack.

 They settle on Romeo + Juliet because, "Paul Rudd," June and Ivy smile when he comes on screen.

 "Paul Rudd," Awsten and Travis grumble.

 "How many times are you two gonna watch this movie?" Lucas groans. "Everytime you two get together you watch it."

 "It's called tradition, Cleary," Ivy rolls her eyes. "Look it up."

 After the movies over, and because they're all literal children, they play truth or dare. Ivy dares Awsten to kiss Travis and June almost cries from laughter over the look on Travis' face when he hears the dare.

 Their dares stay childish. Awsten finds some expired milk in the back of his fridge and dares Ivy to drink it. "As payback," he tells her.

 "Oh, c'mon, Knight. We all know you enjoyed that kiss," she laughs before chugging the glass of milk. "I think I'm gonna throw up," she laughs afterwards. The rest of the game, she sits with a pot in her lap, just in case.

 "Truth or dare?" June asks Lucas.

 He glances over at Ivy. Not wishing to suffer the same fate, "Truth."

 June smirks. Over the past few weeks, she's noticed that the air between him and Macy had changed a bit, and their goodbye was a bit awkward. So she asks, "Do you have a crush on Macy?"

 He gets very obviously flustered. "What? C'mon, Juney Bug, we're not in second grade, I don't 'have a crush' on Macy. That's kids stuff."

 "So you do like her, though, right?"

 "What? No, of course not! She's...she's gross!"

 "Whatever you say, Cleary." He ends up confessing his feelings for Macy to them later in the night. "I knew it!" June tells him.

Ivy and Travis sleep on an air mattress. Lucas sleeps on the couch. June and Awsten sleep in Awsten's bed.

 "I've been thinking," he tells her, stroking her hair as they lay together.

 "Really? Thinking? That's new," she smiles and he tells her to shut up. "About?"

 "I think you should bring me orange juice more often."

 "Bring you orange juice? Do I look like some orange juice delivery girl to you?" she scrunched her nose up but a smile is still spread across her face.

 "Yeah," he nods, still playing with her hair. "And a cute one at that. Would it be inappropriate to ask for the delivery girl's number?"

 June pulls herself closer to her boyfriend and nuzzles her face into the crook of his neck. "Highly inappropriate. You're gonna have to find a new orange juice delivery girl for that comment."

 "Man, I really liked this one."