nine

very convenient :: awstenmarch 16th, 2020

march 16th, 2020

YESTERDAY WAS AWKWARD BETWEEN JUNE AND ME, BUT I WAKE UP THIS MORNING TO HER AND LUCAS IN THE KITCHEN.

 "Goodmorning, sleepyhead," Lucas calls to the couch in a sing-songy voice.

 "We're making muffins," June says. "Blueberry ones."

 She's wearing blue jeans and a red blouse, covered in eyes like my rings. Her hair is half up and she's mixing together the wet ingredients while Lucas mixes together the dry.

 "The best kind," Lucas adds.

 I rub my eyes and walk to the kitchen where June tells me to wash my hands so I can help.

june collins

"But I just woke up!" Awsten complains.

 "If you want muffins, you gotta help," Lucas says, handing him a muffin tin and wrappers.

 Awsten slept in a plain black t-shirt that's tighter than his other shirts. This one hugs his torso, the outline of his chest showing through.

 He also slept in a pair of bright pink boxers, and after he sets the muffin tin down, Lucas tells him to go put some pants on.

 "Now that you're up, we can listen to some music," Lucas says when Awsten comes back, wearing a pair of bright green pants, covered in a floral pattern.

 "Leave that to me," I say as I pull my phone out of my pocket.

 "Not the Fine Line album again," Lucas groans. "It's good, but it's all you fucking listen to."

 I shake my head, opening the Spotify app. "No, not that. I was recently told I should listen to this really cool band."

 Awsten's face lights up as the instrumental starts, and then, "I'd like to know your middle name, Let's talk about your parents and your future dreams."

 As we make the muffins, Awsten sings along to his songs, and I try my hardest to hide the smile forming on my face.

 While the muffins bake, Awsten and I sit on the couch, watching Seven while Lucas looks to see what we have around the apartment and what we'll need to buy to make it through this quarantine.

 Lucas refuses to watch the movie with us because it terrifies him, so when the muffins are done, he sits in the kitchen until the movie's done.

 Once it ends, he comes in to sit on the couch with Awsten and I. "I get to pick the next movie," he says, taking the remote from me.

 We end up watching Superbad and then Scott Pilgrim again while Lucas sets up a curbside pick up order for Target, and one for the grocery store as well.

 "This'll be done in a few hours," he tells us, "and then I'll go get it. I have to physically go inside Target to get your tampons," he says to me, "so Imma go by myself because they only want one person in the store."

 Awsten and I don't complain because neither of us wants to sit in the car.

 A small while later, we hear Lucas mutter a "Fuck" from the kitchen.

 "What's up?" I call.

 "I don't have a face mask," he says. "What if I fucking die."

 "You're not going to die," I assure him.

 We look around the apartment and find a pack of disposable masks that the two of us use when we go on flights, and he leaves to pick up our groceries.

 "Very convenient," Awsten says as him and I sit back down on the couch.

 We sit watching Rick and Morty for a while before Awsten says, "I like your shirt."

 I look down at the red blouse and smile, telling him thank you.

 There's another small silence before he talks again. "So are we going to talk about the other night?"

 I sigh and shrug. "That was dumb, I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry."

 He doesn't say anything back at first, but then, "You know, if we weren't stuck in an apartment together like this, I would've kissed you back.

i have gotten like at least 7 new readers today, and this is so insane

also, y'all are too smart, someone commented the word conceited and i had to google it to make sure i had the right definition in my head