six

apologizing, smiley face socks, and that kid from home alone who wets the bed :: junemarch 12th, 2020

march 12th, 2020

"HAHA! SUCK IT!" IVY LAUGHS WHEN I PICK UP HER FACETIME CALL.

 "What?" I ask, half awake.

 The FaceTime screen goes to 'Paused' and a few seconds later I get a text from her.

 A link. Another text, another link.

 "Natalie Hawthorne likes me better than you!" Ivy says.

 "Ivy..." I mumble. "It's like 2 am...go to bed."

 I wake up a few hours to Lucas shaking me awake telling me Seattle's on lockdown.

 "What's Awsten gonna do?" I ask sleepily. Lucas doesn't say anything. "Lucas, I said what's Awsten gonna do?"

 "He has to stay here," my roommate answers quickly.

 Fuck. I rub my forehead and sigh. "That's what I thought you we're going to say...he can't stay here though! The apartments too small!"

 "He kinda has too, the airports all shut down...just...just be nice, okay?"

"Well, summer slipped us underneath her tongue," Lorde's voice fills my bedroom as I open up the doc I have brainstorming my next project.

 Someone softly knocks on my door and I pause my music, telling them to come in. Awsten comes in and makes his way over to my bed, sitting on the edge, far away from me.

 He's wearing skinny blue jeans and a black hoodie that reads 'THE FANDOM TOUR' with his band name underneath in red. His socks are black and they...have little smiley faces on them?

 "I'm sorry," he apologies. "This is all kinda shitty, I know you want me out and now I'm stuck here...I can see if one of my buddies can drive me back to LA-"

 I'm not quite sure what switch in my brain flipped, but I cut him off, saying, "No, it's okay...you should stay."

 He smiles softly and the two of us sit in silence for a few moments before I ask, "Do you act?"

"What?" Awsten gasps. "What the hell do you mean you've never seen Scott Pilgrim? What the fuck?"

 I shrug. "No one's ever told me I should watch it. Lucas' seen it, he didn't say anything about it."

 Awsten sends Lucas a glare and then turns back to me. "I made an entire music video because of that movie! It has Chris Evans! Aubrey Plaza! That kid from Home Alone who wets the bed! We have to watch it right now."

 We watch the movie, and I realize why Awsten was so upset.

 "What did you think?" he asks hopefully, grinning from ear to ear.

 "I get it," I say and his grin somehow becomes wider. "I mean...Chris Evans as a skater boy, that one guy from The Flash as a vegan, I don't know his name...Jess's cousin from New Girl, I don't know his name either...the entire plot, the music, the dialog...and that kid from Home Alone who wets the bed. What a movie."

 "Duh."

march 13th, 2020

The next day, Awsten and I watch the movie again.

 Lucas tells us he refuses to watch it two days in a row so he makes us pancakes.

 "I can't believe I've never watched this before," I say.

 Awsten rests his head on the back of the couch. "One of the best movies."

 We can't leave the apartment, so the rest of the day is uneventful.

 My mom calls to check up on us, and Ivy tells me she's in the middle of something and can't pick up the phone.

 "Should we watch Scott Pilgrim again?" Awsten suggests, laying upside-down on the couch.

 "Nah," I say from the table. "We're gonna wear the movie out if we do that."

 "Yeah, I guess you're right...where's Lucas?"

 "He's in his room...I think he's taking a nap."

 "Wish that were me."

 Instead of Scott Pilgrim, we watch Adventure Time again, and then a few episodes of Rick and Morty before we both decide there's really nothing we can do but sleep.

I lay awake and after a while, decide to get up and do something. I walk out to the kitchen where Awsten's sitting on the floor with a glass of water.

 "You want something other than water?" I chuckle.

 He looks down at his cup. "I didn't wanna take anything I shouldn't."

 "Dude, chill," I say, opening the fridge. "You basically live here now, take whatever."

 "Could I have some coffee?" he asks.

 "Oh no, not that. Anything else though," I joke.

 I take out the jar of leftover coffee and he jumps up, taking it from me. He chugs the water in his cup and pours coffee in before handing the jar back to me.

 "Hey, I'm sorry if I was rude to you," I say, shutting the fridge and sitting down on the floor with him. "I feel really shitty about all of that."

 "No, no, it's fine," he says, looking down at his cup again. "Lucas kind of sprung me staying here on you, and besides, you weren't that rude." He pauses and smiles down at his coffee. "You took me to one of the best diners I've ever eaten at and you watched Scott Pilgrim with me twice."

march 14th, 2020

 We sit there not talking for a few moments just smiling. Him down at his cup, and me smiling at him.

 Why did I think he was so annoying at first? He's just a polite guy with bright green hair and a nice smile.

this entire chapter is an ad for scott pilgrim vs the world