Chapter 16: Training and Talks

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to keep training me then?" he asks, squinting as the high sun covers his face.

"As long as you wish me to," she laughs. "Or until I have nothing left to teach you." She takes the lead, sitting down on the grass, sheathing her blade. Her hands stretch out behind her as the hobbit also sits down. "Do miss the Shire still?"

Bilbo bites his cheek, not wanting to admit the truth. But as he looks to the woman, he realises that he is probably in the best company to admit his feelings to. "Everyday."

"I don't blame you," she muses softly. "You have a lovely home."

"Bag End," Bilbo says, more to himself than her. He purses his lips, looking down at the grass blades. "My father, Bungo Baggins built it."

Gailien laughs freely again, earning her a look from Bilbo who isn't sure whether to be offended or not. Gailien sees his look and shakes her head quickly. "Sorry, I don't mean to laugh. I just find it a little funny that your family has a fascination with the letter 'B.' Bilbo, Bungo, Baggins, Bag End." Bilbo makes a face of thought then laughs himself.

"I suppose so," he agrees in good humour. "If you don't mind me asking, do you have any family?"

Gailien refrains from frowning, not wanting to spoil a perfectly good morning. She has asked Bilbo personal questions, so it is only fair that he asks his own and she answers. Her life isn't some secret that she holds behind tight lips, but it is something that she doesn't talk about freely. "No," she answers after a pregnant pause. "I only had my parents and a brother. My mother was mortal and died of natural causes long ago, my father, an Elf followed soon after from a broken heart. Elves are said to only love once and usually follow death after their loved one. And my brother was...he was like me when I was younger. Carefree, playful, a little childish." One side of her lips pulls up in memory of her youth. "It got him killed in the end."

Bilbo doesn't know how to respond but eventually settles on, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," she replies, now a full but forced smile on her cheeks. "It was long ago, and I loved them all."

"You're half Elven," Bilbo begins and Gailien nods. "Does that mean you are immortal still?"

"In a way," she explains, trying to find how to word it right since she doesn't truly know herself. "Most Half-Elves are able to choose whether or not they want immortality. Those who do sail West, and those who do not, live an extended but mortal life. But, I do not think my father was a full Elf and I have no intention of sailing West so whatever happens, I will die here on Middle Earth one day."

"And...And how long do you have if you chose mortality?" Bilbo questions hesitantly since the question is rather personal but Gailien takes no offence or hesitation in answering.

"No idea," she quips. "But if I were to fall in love, I would likely live as long as they do. Or I may succumb to the sickness of men. There are many variables so I will live until fate decides otherwise." Bilbo takes note of her chirpy half smile, feeling a little odd that the topic of death is being accompanied by such a pleasant tone. Each to their own, he thinks to himself. "Let's go back and see if breakfast is coming."

The two stand and saunter back to the camp at their own pace. They carry on a light conversation about the food last night and they laugh loudly as Bilbo recalls how Bombur quite literally snatched a potato off his fork. As they arrive back, they are welcomed by an almost empty camp. Balin and Thorin are the only remainders, sitting on the edge in deep conversation.

"Ah, there you two are," Balin greets with his usual warm smile that peers through his white beard, pausing his conversation with the King. "We had a bit of a struggle, but we managed to save you some." He bends down, picking up two small bows from behind him. Bilbo and Gailien take the bowls, sending the Dwarf their thanks. It is some type of porridge mix that looks questionable, but if Bombur made it, it cannot be too bad.