Walking

Chapter Eighteen

Peter

I don't know what she is going through and I would be lying if I said I did. And so, I slowly let her go, giving her my seat, keeping her away from Lucas. Everything has a time- and unfortunately or fortunately, the time for mourning is not now. I put my head up and restart the conversation. I clear my throat and begin.

"Lucas. What do you know?"

"Well, obviously they're not To Sotos or Oi Alloi." I wait patiently. He continues, "and we also know that the Tetrakinita before you died on the very night that he agreed to help both societies."

Richard cuts him off, "we already know all this Luke. Get to the point."

Lucas continues obliviously, "So from that we can conclude that this group was also present then, therefore killing the Tetrakinita. We can guess that this person is one person, or someone from either of these communities who reports back to his or her leader. My vote goes for the second one."

"Go ahead." I persist. He's getting somewhere.

"The reason both of our societies needed the Tetrakinita would be because he has some power, something, that can benefit us both. Another point is that there is something big enough that is bringing Oi Alloi and To Sotos together. I mean, could you ever imagine that?"

One of the boys in the circle, Harry, opens his mouth for the first time.

I see it and signal Lucas to wait for a moment, allowing him to speak, "Luke, do you realize the impact of the words you are rolling off your mouth so easily actually have the power and the will to kill us? Just finding out who it is isn't enough. This person- or these people- aren't just targeting Peter, they're not just behind him.

"This group- I'm just going to call them The Bad Guys- they killed the Tetrakinita at such a perfect timing- just when peace was brought between two enemies. They didn't care for the man with four powers- they cared only for the two societies, who could, together, but only together, bring them down.

"And this is both our weakness, and our strength. The Bad Guys probably used all these years to rejuvenate their army, get sharper, get smarter and Igetis and this other lady probably only just now realized this truth. I don't think we were imprisoned to stay locked away and rot. I believe they knew that you would come to us. The conversations William overheard were spoken so loudly because they're getting a point across- and I finally got it. Hopefully you guys will too. I'm not going to fight against Igetis or the leader of To Sotos, because they're not fighting against us.

"I really am sorry about what happened to you Peter, and I have no excuse or reason for it, but you have to trust me on this." He stops, now standing, his face creased up in worry and excitement.

"Harry," I ask him, "what are your two powers?"

"Things stick to me," he says, a tone of pride in his voice, his finger pointing to his forehead, "like in here, and knife skills. Basically man-on-man combat."

"Well, we know the first one works exceptionally well, and now we have two weeks to work on the second." I look around meaningfully at the circle I am now a part of. "Anyone standing against what Harry here just said, or any workouts or plans, speak now, or hold your peace forever."

Silence. No one says a word.

"All in?" I ask, my voice commanding, demanding.

"All in!" A single scream echoes around the room.

"Okay then boys, take it easy till lunch. We'll begin after."

-

While the rest of them were taking a break, Catherine and I set up the house, moving aside the furniture and making more space throughout the house wherever there was some to gain. Rations were something we would have to be extremely careful about, seeing that it might not be possible to leave the security of the house yet. I groan as I straighten up my back. I never signed up for this.

"None of us did boy and yet, we're all still here." Ester chuckles from behind me, leaning against the door frame.

"You really have to stop doing that." I say to him. He smirks in reply and podgily walks into the hall.

"Boy," he says, standing behind me, "do you truly believe this will work? I mean meeting Igetis and the Countess is a pretty big feat. And you plan on breaking in, right?"

My eyes turn orange. This man doesn't know when to stop. "Well, I've met up with him on countless occasions already- I'm sure he wouldn't mind meeting a dear friend once more. Also, the risks' not yours to take anyways because," I turn to look directly at him, "you are staying home with Catherine."

From across the room Catherine turns towards me. She looks confused, as if she didn't quite get what I was saying. "What?" she asks as she reaches the two of us. I sigh and move my hand anxiously through my hair.

"Cathy, I think you should wait this one out at home, and because I don't want to leave you alone," I motion towards Ester, "he'll stay back with you."

"And you think this is a good idea because?"

"Well for one, things might go wrong at the headquarters and I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Oh! So staying at home, where my parents were just murdered, where I will be under constant and unknown threat is so much safer, right?" She puts her hands on her hips stubbornly.

"If what we decided on before is correct, and Igetis wants to keep us safe instead of killing us, he would have already armed the house with some of his men. I can hear feet shuffling around constantly."

"Wait, wait, wait." Ester interrupted, standing straight in front of me, his breathing once again heavy on my face, "You say you've been hearing feet around the house and you don't tell anyone?"

I step back. "If it was something important I would-"

"HEARING FEET OUTSIDE THE HOUSE ISN'T IMPORTANT?!" He bellows. The giant has once again taken his original true form. Why did I think it would be any different now?

Catherine shakes one hand wearily in front of me. "I can't believe I'm saying this but he's right."

"Don't lay it all on him." Seven men walk into the room in a line, William first. "I have exceptional hearing too and we both decided this together."

"This what?"

"That you and Ester here, probably Albert too, stay back."

"And the men outside?" Ester asks accusingly.

"They're men from Oi Alloi, they're here to help us."

I walk ahead towards him and then turn, now facing Catherine and Ester, "They refuse to come in though, and show their alliance. But we can trust them. Catherine," I plead, my eyes turning a soft blue, "I know you probably don't trust Igetis, but you do trust me, don't you? And you know I wouldn't do anything that might end up with you hurt- I can't let you get hurt. It would be too much for me." An open taunt from behind me escapes my ears. "Please?"

She looks back at me as if she could plunge a knife through my chest without second thoughts. She bangs her foot against the floor, her hands on her hips, her lips pursed, but she says, "Fine. But if anything happens to you, Peter O'Connor, anything more than a scratch from a bush-" I bound across the room, pulling her into my arms and kiss her on her cheek tenderly. "Then what?" I say naughtily into her ear, but she doesn't reply, just clings onto me and presses her head into my shoulder.