Test

Chapter Eleven

Peter

She removes my blindfold just a few steps after we get out of the car and as my eyes focus, I come to realize that the To Sotos headquarters is not only better hidden, but also much much larger and more secure than that of Oi Alloi. I guess you don't need fancy security when the club itself is filled with killers.

In front of me, a big, triangular pyramid seeps into the sky, a stunning shade of purple lightly coating the grey metal. There is no security outside, but the machines already visible to me, guarding the breathtaking monument, give no reason to waste man power.

There is a soft whistling that surrounds the area, but so sneaky that one may not be able to hear it- unless you were looking for it.

I turn to look at Cathy, thinking her eyes would be radiating a positive, homely glow, but on looking at them, I twitch, and believing that most of this mood- the tired expression on her face- is caused indirectly by me, I guiltily grab her hand as we walk into the structure.

A gust of cool air hits me instantly after the door swings open, Cathy having put in her thumb print successfully. The air conditioner here is exceptional. Maybe if the school followed its lead, members of the Oi Alloi wouldn't be heading home drooling in sweat every other evening.

There is no predicted fancy entrance. A long, narrow passage connects the main entry to, I suppose, the rest of this architectural wonder. The walls inside are steel gray, no effort taken to paint it a more subtle color, the nails used to pin it together still visible. We walk ahead inwards. The lights automatically flash on with every step as we continue our way down. With my ever-so-sharp ears, I can already hear the soft screams of cheers that await us on the other end. Our footsteps echo in sync- the only sound in the corridors.

After walking for a good three minutes, we reach an open end; I was right. Cathy and I now stand at the beginning of a humongous room- if I can call it that. About 100 feet high, a thick, dark layer of metal enclosed the hall. Both sides of the place are covered in trembling- yet thrilled men and women, members of the To Sotos.

At first glance, the obstacles seem rather easy, but I know from Cathy's intense grip on my hand, I know, that looks are deceiving- especially right now.

Sandwiched in between them are four courses, each thoroughly testing either one of my powers. How did they know my powers? My thoughts are interrupted by Cathy, who nudges me from my right, her cheeks holding back gallons of laughter. I follow her eyes to find a most shocking discovery.

The leader of To Sotos, as Catherine had explained to me before, sits on a high chair on the right of where we stood, her hair, agreeably, is a mess, but that is not what catches my mind.

The announcer seated opposite her carries on, explaining in crucial detail the set of challenges that I am to complete.

But that's not what I was observing either.

My eyes turned a silent shade of grey, twinning with the walls, I feel the color reaching up to my fingertips, my nails turning the same shade to signal the change. Countess Eliza's hands are trembling as they rest on the arms of the chair. Traces of sweat are settled over her white skin. Still not it; still not something scary enough to make hesitate:

Countess Eliza's long, pale purple dress extending down the stairs is wet, and one can clearly see ignored brown, muddy spots at the end, and a few dark patches contrasting its otherwise bright purple. And then my mind woke up: Igetis had multiple stains of the same sorts on his cloak too. Did they meet? Why did they meet? Who or what were they talking about? Why would these two community heads- that loathe each other so much- want to meet up?