Telling Him (almost) Everything

Começar do início

-

After grabbing a much needed cup of espresso, Peter pushes my wheelchair through the park gates. I have finally been allowed to exit the hospital, but now need to rely on this mode of transport to get me through.

"Stop there, at the bench," I say to him, "You might want to sit while I explain this to you."

He grins, "Really Cathy, what do you need to tell?"

I smile at him, tilting my head backwards so that I can see his face, "You'll see soon enough..." I fidget nervously on my lap, playing with my fingers.

He stops my chair right next to the arm of the bench and seats himself right at the end.

"What did you want to tell me?" He is excited. I frown. What part of this seems funny to him?

An annoying thought bangs against the back of my mind: He is officially an Oi Alloi. He won't listen. He won't change now. Why would he? I try to forget it and take in a deep breath.

"Peter, I want you to listen to everything I say, and once I'm done, promise me that then, and only then, will you tell me your opinions."

"I promise."

I stare guiltily into the horizon and begin my story...

"The Oi Alloi is not the only secret community that there is. There is a reason that they are named 'The Others'" I couldn't bear turning to see his face right now, "there is another too, a society consisting of men and women who aim on making the doings of the Oi Alloi right again. We are called The To Sotos; the Right. To Sotos have been on this planet for centuries now, working in the shadows. Our leader, Countess Eliza, has been chief of the clan for 5 years now; taking over after her deceased father." I pause.

"Why are you telling me this?" His voice is clear, silent, dangerous. His head is down, but I know he is talking to me. I shudder. It's Peter, I console myself.

"Just over two years ago, To Sotos was given away by a cheat who went behind our backs to join Oi Alloi. Since then, Oi Alloi has increased its death cases, increased the number of members of their clan. We presume that soon, in less than a year now, they will attack us." Here I turn to look at him. I was correct. His eyeballs were gray, glowing, like ice. I smiled on the inside at myself for saying that Oi Alloi were 'them' and not 'you'. It was working, it will work. I take up from where I stopped, "Countess Eliza has seen the future. She's worried for us. We are the good guys. The ones who make wrong things right. The ones who try saving lives. She's terrified of what might come-"

"Catherine. Why are you telling me this?" His eyes are a shocking shade of orange now. I do not have much time. I reach out for his hand to give him support, comfort, something. Something so this bruised, broken, lonely boy in front of me knows he's not alone. Something so he knows that I'm there for him. He looks up. His eyes are soft, yellow. I give him what I hope is a reassuring smile. He looks down at our intertwined hands and smiles.

"Listen." I sigh, "Countess Eliza says there is only one way out. Only the Tetrakinita can save us. But since the time of this prophecy, we have not been gifted any Tetrakinita's in our community."

"Maybe that's because you don't need one. Maybe us Oi Alloi need one more. Maybe you'll are bad guys and we're the good ones- bringing balance to the Earth." His voice wavering, like he was trying to sound strong, but I know him well enough to know that what I was saying was not wasted on deaf ears.

"Peter, I'm not done yet." I reply calmly. He nods, his eyes cooling down a little from the shocking orange it had turned too, back it its original blue. I pressed on. "There was a Tetrakinita before you in the Oi Alloi, you know that right?" He nods. "We successfully got in touch with him and convinced him to help us. But the next day-"

"He was dead." Peter looks up at me as if he just solved a riddle. I am speechless. He knew about the Tetrakinita! "Cathy," he looks at me, a glistening shade of purple enveloping his eyes, "if I don't help the To Sotos, will you die?"

No. This was not supposed to be the reason for him to help us.

"Cathy?"

"I might," I whisper, "But that's not why you should help us. Understand that your life is instantly in danger the moment you agree. Think carefully Peter." Oh god, oh god, oh god.

He didn't stutter, "I'm ready to die Cathy. I'll help you."

And with that, he gets up and takes his position behind my wheelchair, disrupting all further conversation. In a few more minutes, we are out of the park gates and heading home. Neither of us speak a single word on the way. There is nothing to say.

Oh god.