Chapter 3: Dixie

Dixie Fallon Williams

Dixie sprinted to the door, ditching brunch and leaving her food half-eaten. She started to open the door just as her mother stopped her.

"Where are you going now?"

"The farm, Mom. I am not hungry anymore."

Her mother sighed, not arguing, because she knew that Dixie wouldn't pay attention to anything she said. As she headed back to the kitchen she noticed Dixie's half-eaten plate.

"And anyways, I am totally done with my morning routine now and have lots of free time!"

She'd let her shiny, dark brown hair cascading down, and added a bit of mascara to her eyelashes (and maybe a light shade of lip gloss to add some sparkles, but sparkles were everything).

Her morning routine was pretty basic: she woke up in her king sized bed filled with stuffed animals to the sight of bright green walls. Then she brushed her teeth and played around with her hair, maybe even curled it, which she found kind of fun. Right after, she washed her face and did her skincare routine, and did a tad bit of makeup, although she preferred a natural look. Afterwards, she changed her clothes and picked something out with her endless options, before bouncing down the stairs three steps at a time for breakfast.

Even though she had all kinds of skin and hair tools in her brand new, white dressing drawers, she often looked simple and always smiled at her look when gazing at the silver colored, oval mirror on top of the drawers.
Smiles made her smile.
She supposed that was why people called them contagious.

Her mother always encouraged her to put more makeup on, or focus on her skin more, Dixie denied, delighted with herself just the way she wanted it.

"But what about finishing your foo—" Her mother tried asking, frowning as Dixie opened the decorated door almost tripping as she raced out.

"Mom please, I haven't gone there for days!"

"Dixie Fallon Williams, you are finishing your food up, before you go off to the farm!" Her mother declared.

"I'll eat something there."

"But —"

"Bye, see you this afternoon." Dixie waved a goodbye to her mom, signaling that she was leaving.

"Jane, you know her, let her go dear," her father recommended, noticing she had already left running. Dixie was one of the mischievous children, her stubbornness always won, at least in her parents opinion.

Her father quickly caught up to Dixie, handing her carha to her. Dixie thanked him, shaking her head at her forgetfulness and left, dashing freely into the grass. Her father came back to the house, taking a seat at the heavy, leathered couch.

"David, I always wonder how Dixie is the complete opposite of James, he's just eight, yet so obedient and relaxed."

"Dixie's special, one of a kind," Her father gladly replied. Dixie's mother chuckled. It was fun to watch Dixie never grow up. At least she didn't grow up too fast.

Dixie flounced across the bridges, smiling to herself in satisfaction as the heels of her shiny boots clicked against the clear glass. The citizens around her, clearly annoyed, kept several feet away to themselves, allowing her to stare down at her feet in awe. Or, more precisely, past her feet.

The world below rolled with lush green grass and unbelievably tall trees. The flowers were brighter than Dixie had ever seen them in the skies, and the gentle, trickling streams were just thin, dark lines weaving through the landscape. She could just imagine herself tumbling down the hills, splashing in the rivers, spinning around and around and around in the endless flowers.