‣︎︎ CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT:
THE SORTING

☍︎︎

"THIS IS WHERE WE PART FOR NOW," SAM ADDRESSED DAISY.

He, Cedric, Clara, and Jenny -- a raven-haired beauty with intelligent grey eyes -- walked Daisy to Hagrid, who stood high above them with a bright light.

"Thank you for letting me sit with you," Daisy smiled at her new friends.

Jenny laughed lightly, amused at Daisy's words. "Kid, we didn't let you do anything. You're welcome to sit with us anytime."

"She's right," Cedric agreed, winking at Daisy. "We might be a few years older than you, but we've got your back. I know you'll be a Hufflepuff."

Sam shook his head. "No," he disagreed, straightening his tie. "She's a Ravenclaw for sure."

Daisy smiled at her new friends, happiness surging through her veins. They truly liked her -- for her. They wanted to be her friends. She'd never had that before, always the weird girl with a bully for a brother. But not here. Hogwarts would be different.

"We've got to catch the carriages, see you at the feast, alright?" Cedric said pointedly to Daisy. She nodded. "Brilliant. Enjoy the castle, it's...magical the first time."

"See you around, Cedric."

With a final wave from the older group, they walked off, Cedric and Sam shoving each other lightly, all of them laughing about something. Daisy turned to Hagrid, smiling up at him, spotting Harry near his legs.

"Harry!"

Harry turned his head, a smile blossoming on his face. "Hey, Daisy," he greeted. "It's Hagrid!"

Daisy laughed, waving at the half-giant. "Hi, Hagrid! How are you?"

"Doin' fine, Daisy, an' you?"

"Excited."

Hagrid looked up at the forming group of first years behind Harry and Daisy. "C'mon, follow me — any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now! Firs' years follow me!"

Harry's hand found Daisy's as they walked, Ron next to Harry. She gripped his hand tightly, just as nervous as him. Sure, she'd made a few friends -- but that had nothing to do with her magical capabilities. What if Ron was wrong and she wasn't magical enough? She didn't think she could go home now -- not after the train ride, exploding snap, a moving chocolate frog --, she couldn't do it. She couldn't face her parents.

No one spoke much as they walked down the long, steep, dark path. Daisy stumbled over a rock, bumping into Hagrid a bit, but he helped her steady. She could hear someone sniffling, Neville, someone whispered. The boy with the toad.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

There was a loud "oooh!" and then Daisy saw it.

The woods around them parted into a big, black lake. Daisy's mouth dropped at the sight. Atop a big hill with a high mountain on the other side, a ginormous castle with turrets and towers stood proud. The sky shimmered with stars behind the castle and Daisy couldn't believe her luck. How special was she -- to see such beauty so early in her life?

"No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid pointed to a small fleet of boats sitting in the water by the shore. Ron moved first, Harry close behind him, tugging Daisy along. Hermione Granger, the girl from the train, followed them and hopped into the boat with them. Daisy smiled at her nervously. Hermione seemed flustered, running a hand through her hair, and mumbling something under her breath.