‣︎︎ CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE:
THE GIRL WITH AN ORDINARY LIFE

☍︎︎

DAISY DURSLEY, OF NUMBER FOUR, PRIVET DRIVE, LIVED AN ABSOLUTELY ORDINARY LIFE.

She was the last person you'd expect to see involved in anything mysterious or magnificent. Her parents made sure of it.

With a spoiled brother, and bitter parents, she spent most of her time outside in the shed-turned-art-studio, painting her days away in a flurry. Her mother dotted, feeding her copious amounts of food and braiding her hair in small buns and crowns. She'd always been proud of "her little flower," hanging artwork and grades on the fridge.

Not that she had much to compete with. There were only two other children in the house, one of whom she loved very much, and the other with whom she'd hardly spoken.

Her brother, Dudley, was very loud and rambunctious, always begging for more food and more gifts. While she loved him dearly, he was her twin brother, after all, he had grown into a very nasty child and it grew harder and harder to be around him for more than a few hours at a time.

Their relationship developed into that of a stale friendship and their conversations ranged from video games to movies, but never anything important.

The other child — her cousin, lived in the cupboard under the stairs. His parents passed away when they were all children, in a terrible car accident, and her parents took him in.

Harry Potter wasn't exactly rude, but he wasn't nice very often either. Daisy and Harry didn't get along very well — their snarky remarks drowning each other out, while they competed daily for good marks in school.

Then again, Harry appeared to stop trying the last year, and Daisy had a feeling it had to do with her father.

Despite not enjoying her cousin's presence, she pitied him. Dudley and her parents resented Harry, constantly badgering him and hindering his social life.

Harry didn't have any friends at school — due to Dudley's bullying — and he wasn't allowed to do anything except cook and clean at home.

Honestly, she didn't envy him.

Daisy chewed on her bacon, nose wrinkling a bit as the grease coated her lips. She set it down on the plate with a light sigh, glancing around the room.

Harry stood in the kitchen, cooking eggs for her dad, Vernon reading the paper in the seat next to hers, and her brother on her other side, chomping away at his sausage. Petunia sipped an orange juice, smiling down at her daughter when their eyes connected.

Daisy's smile widened and she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear, feeling the weight of it against her shoulders.

Unlike her family, she had long, wavy red hair. Her mother said she took after her aunt that way and their mother before that. Daisy was skinny like her mother, mostly skin and bones, and her cheekbones were high on her face. Teeth a bit disproportionate, she faced an endless battle against the mirror — and a hand always covering her smile.

Dudley took after their father, his hair was just as blonde and his body equally large. She often wondered why her metabolism was different than his, but genetics seemed to be the only conclusion.

"Harry," her father's voice started loudly. "Look here — you made Daisy's bacon all wrong. Fix it up or else."

Daisy shook her head. "No, Harry, I'm fine, thanks," she turned to her father. "Dad, I'm full. May I be excused?"