‣︎︎ CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR:
THE OUTRAGEOUSLY TALL MAN

☍︎︎

BOOM!

The knocking continued, thundering through the shack. Daisy thought the entire building would topple over, it didn't seem very sturdy. A bit of run puddled in the corner near the fireplace because of the old ceiling and she stood a bit closer to Harry, reaching for his hand in fear.

He grabbed it tightly, and they hid behind a curve in the wall, peeking out a fraction so they wouldn't get caught. The door burst open, falling to the floor in a scurry of force and Daisy let out a high-pitched gasp, pulling Harry back behind the wall again, her hands shaking slightly. She hoped her brother was competent enough to hide. Perhaps her dad would save them all, he did have that big gun.

"Who's there?" he shouted. "I warn you — I'm armed!"

Daisy peaked around Harry, watching with a cautious interest as a very ginormous man -- the largest Daisy had ever seen in her life -- entered the room. He had mane-like hair, black and curly, sticking out in different directions. A matching beard almost hid his face entirely, tangled up and bits of grey tattered throughout. The only part of his face Daisy could make out were his eyes; small, and beady like coal.

The giant squeezed into the hut, ducking under the doorway, and picked up the door, putting it back on the frame gently. "Couldn't make us a cup o' tea, could yeh?" He asked the occupants of the room. "It's not been an easy journey..."

He walked to the couch and Daisy's heart dropped at her brother's horrified expression. What was this man going to do to them? She squeezed Harry's hand tighter and thought for a moment that she might break it.

"Budge up, yeh great lump," he told Dudley, who stood up quickly, trembling as he walked to their parents. He quickly hid behind Petunia, who stood behind Vernon. terrified. She looked over at them fearfully.

"An' here's Harry," the giant spoke to Harry, waving at him to come out. Daisy and Harry exchanged a fearful glance -- how did the large man know his name? -- before he squeezed her hand again, letting go and walking in front of the man. The man smiled at Harry.

"Las' time I saw you, you was only a baby," he told Harry. "Yeh look a lot like yer dad, but yeh've got yer mom's eyes."

Daisy perked up, peeking her head out a bit more. Did he know her aunt and uncle? He must be a decent man. Not that her father spoke kindly of Harry's parents, but often when Daisy was younger she'd hear stories of her aunt Lily.

"I demand that you leave at once, sir!" Vernon spluttered out, aiming the gun at the man. "You are breaking and entering!"

Daisy's eyes flickered to her father before settling on the man once again. He didn't seem to mind the situation; he appeared to find it funny.

"Ah, shut up, Dursley, yeh great prune," he reached back behind the couch to her father and Daisy held her breath in fear. Rather than harming him, he simply grabbed the gun from Vernon's hands, bending it into a knot as though it were a piece of twine and tossing it to the corner of the room.

Vernon squealed lowly, like a mouse that'd been stepped on. She swallowed fearfully, eyes widening at the man before her. If her dad was scared -- she probably should be too.

"Anyway — Harry," the large man turned to Harry again, digging into his jacket. "A very happy birthday to'yeh. Got summat fer yeh here — I mighta sat on it at some point, but it'll taste all right."