‣︎︎CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR:

SUMMER

☍︎︎

"LIKE CARS FOR INSTANCE?"

Daisy and Ginny jumped, exchanging a wide-eyed look at Mrs. Weasley's shrill voice downstairs.

"What happens when your mum gets mad?" Daisy asked, the words falling from her lips before she could stop them.

She wasn't sure if Ginny would understand the question but Daisy had to know how careful she had to be.

Ginny's frown told her everything. She hadn't a clue what Daisy meant. "She just yells a bit, but the boys drive her mad. Especially Fred and George."

"Okay," Daisy nodded, suddenly feeling very awkward. "Sorry, I was just wondering because —"

"You don't have to apologize," Ginny said, face softening. "C'mon, I think I hear Dad. He'd love to meet you."

Daisy heart fell in her chest. She couldn't think like that. Not every father would be like hers.

Ginny closed the door behind them and rushed downstairs, nearly tripping over the last step which caused them both to burst into laughter.

Ginny shushed her immediately, the pair peering over the wall at the bottom, watching as the boys stood in the middle of the living area.

"Imagine a wizard buying a rusty, old car and telling his wife all he wanted to do with it was take it apart to see how it worked, while really he was enchanting it to make it fly!"

Mrs. Weasley was shouting at Mr. Weasley, who sat at the dinner table. Daisy couldn't make out much of the man, but her eyes found thinning red hair and emerald green robes.

She was oddly reminded of Christmas, and like the rest of the family, found her heart swell at the thought.

They probably had a wonderful Christmas. Perhaps if she and Ginny grew close, she'd be lucky enough to get a "Weasley Sweater" from Mrs. Weasley, like Harry did last year. She'd much prefer that over a cheap hairbrush.

Ginny looked over at Daisy, trying not to laugh. Daisy stood quietly, unsure if she should find the situation as funny as Daisy.

"There's a loophole in the law, you'll find," Mr. Weasley spoke up cautiously, is chair squeaking as he adjusted himself. "As long as he wasn't intending to fly the car, the fact that the car could fly wouldn't —"

"Arthur Weasley, you made sure there was a loophole when you wrote that law!" Mrs. Weasley shouted, cutting him off.

Daisy jumped, eyes flickering nervously until she spotted Harry standing near the backdoor.

Harry glanced up at the same time, seemingly as startled as she was, eyes meeting Daisy's.

He looked at her in question and she shrugged, an amused smile on both their faces. Daisy furrowed her brow a fraction and he nodded to Ron. Her smile lifted a little at his barely noticeable eye roll.

No one noticed their interaction, like always. They'd mastered the art of subtle communication over the summer.

For the first week or two, neither of them were allowed to speak to the other, as her family feared they'd whisper a magical spell and turn them all into toads. But when no one else in the house spoke to them, it was the only way for effective communication.