playing with fire

"James, please sit down, and if you could put one of those fancy charms on the door?" Mr. Evans asked.

James scratched the back of his neck. "Um...I'm actually not allowed to do that in front of you..."

"I know."

James saw the twinkle of amusement in the older man's eyes and let out a low chuckle. "Oh...you were kidding."

"Yes, as much as I would love to be completely sure my daughter is not listening I'm afraid we will just have to keep the details of this conversation down to hushed whispers."

"What did you want to discuss sir?"

"Sit down James."

James nodded, dropping into the seat directly across from Mr. Evans. His eyes drifted across the room, eyeing the rather large bookshelf filled with sociological and psychological books.

"I ...I like all your uh books." James commented lamely, fixing his glasses.

"Thank you. Do you have interest in psychology?"

James frowned. "Isn't that the study of why people do things?"

"That's one way of looking at it."

"Then yes, yes I do." James smiled. "I find introspection annoying, but necessary."

Mr. Evans leaned back in his chair, his arms folded to the side, his eyes focused on James. "You do?"

James's pulse quickened as he began to feel slightly claustrophobic in Mr. Evans's quaint study. "Yes."

"I'm sure you are wondering why I asked to speak to you."

"I have an idea sir."

Mr. Evans asked, "And what idea do you have?"

"Well, I'm assuming Lily hasn't brought boyfriends back often and since you care for your daughter you wish to know my intentions with your daughter or something along those lines." James answered smoothly.

"What are your intentions?" Mr. Evans countered with both of his eyebrows raised.

James pressed his hands together and without a single moment of hesitation he said, "I love her and when we have been together long enough and feel old enough, I plan on marrying her."

"Interesting answer, but that was not what I wanted to know."

"What would you like to know sir?"

"What I say to you," Mr. Evans voice dropped to a barely audible whisper, "must stay between the two of us."

"I understand."

Mr. Evans cleared his throat. "I specifically mean you can't tell Lily a word I say. If you do, there will be serious consequences."

James sat up straighter, his chin raised and his face somber. "Of course sir."

"I'm happy to hear you are serious about my daughter, because I need you to do something for me."

"Anything sir."

Mr. Evans sighed, his eyes dropping from James's face for the first time since James entered the room. "I need you to take care of my daughter."

"...I don't understand sir."

"I know she's a liberated woman, who can probably take care of herself better than I give her credit, but I want insurance, I want a guarantee that when I'm gone someone will be looking after her."

James frowned. "You mean because after graduation you're moving? Lily told me you have already settled everything with the house."

"I'm not moving James." Mr. Evans paused; his voice dropping so low James had to fight to hear him say, "I'm dying."